13 Band Unprocessed Sentinel 2 Imagery?

Jump to solution
07-31-2018 07:58 PM
SimonWebster
Occasional Contributor

I'm looking to work with individual bands from the Sentinel 2 imagery, but seem to be unable to interact with more than three bands at a time in ArcGIS Pro 2.2.1 or ArcMap 10.3.1.

Loading either the Sentinel-2 Views from ArcGIS Pro Catalog (via AGOL), direct from the WMS/ArcGIS Rest Services (1, 2) yields the same 3 visible bands. I can, however, apply processing templates that come along with the rest service, as included with the attached image. 

Is there a way to make use of all 13 bands via a WMS that doesn't require a subscription, or manually extracting and keeping an eye on AWS open source data sets? Ideally I'd like to have the bands available for custom raster function templates in ArcGIS Pro so that I can do slightly fancier things like urban fringe change detection on the fly. 

Urban Index is available here, for example. And change detection is discussed here, and could be applied as a raster function template for on the fly viewing - if only we could see each of the 13 bands via the WMS.  

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
CodyBenkelman
Esri Regular Contributor

Load the service into the map

Go to table of contents, right click --> properties --> processing templates --> none

select layer in table of contents, go to Image Service Layer on toolbar and select Symbology

... and you can assign any band to the R and G and B displays

Note the Processing Templates provide faster access to the most common band combinations and indices (see 2nd screenshot above)

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
AbhijitDoshi
Esri Contributor

Simon,

set the processing templates as NONE, you will have access to all the 13 bands, Then you can apply your raster function templates to use any of the 13 bands 

0 Kudos
SimonWebster
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Abhijit.

I did try that and it wasn't obvious that any more bands had become available.

I'll give it another try soon.

Is there any particular function where it should be obvious that all three bands are being delivered? Certainly the legend and raster info items still indicated three bands only.

Simon

Get Outlook for iOS<https://aka.ms/o0ukef>

0 Kudos
CodyBenkelman
Esri Regular Contributor

Load the service into the map

Go to table of contents, right click --> properties --> processing templates --> none

select layer in table of contents, go to Image Service Layer on toolbar and select Symbology

... and you can assign any band to the R and G and B displays

Note the Processing Templates provide faster access to the most common band combinations and indices (see 2nd screenshot above)

0 Kudos
SimonWebster
Occasional Contributor

*thirteen bands being delivered

Get Outlook for iOS<https://aka.ms/o0ukef>

0 Kudos
LaurentPondevie
New Contributor III

Anyone have success with custom functions like this Regolith Ratio;

(B11 / B12) + (B8 / B12) + (B8 / B3)

0 Kudos
GuenterDoerffel
Esri Contributor

Laurent, what is your issue here? Not the results you expect? Without checking the literature:
Does  (B11 / B12) + (B8 / B12) + (B8 / B3)  refer to the band naming/order in the Sentinel doc?  Or is it (which would be crutial!)the band order in the dataset when in ArcGIS?
Please keep in mind that there is a Band 8A in sentinel - and counting this is band 9 - so all following are one number up!
So as a simple example: If you would need a formula like "NarrowNIR" / "Cirrus" in the sense of Sentinel doc this would be "8A" / "10" , but in the sense of band order in ArcGIS this would be "B9" / "B11"   !!
If that "error" happend on your formula above, the real formula most likely should be (B12 / B13) + (B8 / B13) + (B8 / B3)    

Regards
Guenter

0 Kudos
LaurentPondevie
New Contributor III

Thank you Guenter. I'll take another look at my formula, but I think the issue is with the mix of band resolution that the Sentinel imagery is generated from. I beleive that there is a mix from 10m, 20m & 60m. So with my formulae I don't get the result I'm after. I'm comparing this to a standalone image that was created from resampled bands and then the formulae applied.

Look I'm not an expert by any means when it comes to Remote Sensing data, so I may be approaching this all wrong.

0 Kudos
GuenterDoerffel
Esri Contributor

Laurent,

ArcGIS has settings to take care of this resolution issue: As a property of many band related functions you can specify your choice for the output cellsize type using the selector:

This is part of all math functions, too. If you have simplified the process and use the "user defined" Method of the Band Arithmetic function (which your question indicates), your mix of band-resolutions will be resolved as the "best available". I tested the line that I have suggested with Sentinel2 in "Band Arithmetic" and it works just fine:
RGB (4/3/2)

BandArithmetic Function: (B12 / B13) + (B8 / B13) + (B8 / B3)  

Sorry - some city-patch - not ideal for regiolith

G.

0 Kudos