Why can't I set symbology from RGB Composite to Stretched in a raster catalog of what are really B&W tiffs?

07-24-2017 05:43 AM
ChuckHorne
New Contributor

I have a set of .tif files that are scanned plots from a series that are basic to the utility operation. The plots are black & white and have been clipped and georeference to make a backdrop. When I was doing this with .png, everything was fine, but now that I tried tif, I notice these effects:

• every time I add one as a layer, it comes up with these bizarre Jimi-Hendrix-poster looking color scheme
  • if I go to the layer properties, Symbology tab, and switch from RGB Composite to stretched, they become B&W and look just like the original plots
  • I created a raster catalog and loaded the entire set in there, but when I add the raster catalog as a layer, it still comes up with the 60's crazy color scheme, but the Symbology tab doesn't enable changing: 
  • I note that while I can choose and Apply Stretched, it doesn't do anything
  • After a hacking period, I observed that I can simply Remove RGB Composite, in which case Stretched becomes the choice and it does work
0 Kudos
1 Reply
GünterDörffel
Occasional Contributor III

Chuck, have you got at least "Standard Edition"? Then please use a MosaicDatset instead of a rather old fashioned and much less performing raster catalog ... and we'll figure out whatever need you have 🙂
TIFF is a very "wide-range of content" format. In your case the 1-bit data might be effectively stored as CCIT4 compressed data. At least that would be nice. I assume in your data it is stored as 24 bit - what a waste of ressources 🙂  So I assume you are running into stretching and "automated data recognition issues" - but again - if this is b/w anyway you should convert to 1bit for the raw data and maybe only use some overviews with bilinear interpolation at large scales. SInce you probably can not share a file, we'll have to "discuss" that here ...

I've done a lot with Utility backdrop imagery  ... tons of it ...

Regards Guenter