Verifying Z-Values in DEM created from LAS dataset, and Contours created from DEM

Jump to solution
10-21-2019 09:53 AM
TorySanna
New Contributor III

I have a large LAS Dataset, consisting of about 25 tiles.  I used the LAS Dataset to raster tool in order to create a raster surface from the Lidar data, the DEM itself prior to creation of the raster surface had Z-values.  The photo snip attached, snip_example_1, is how I processed the LAS dataset.  

Next from the DEM, contour lines were generated.  How I ran the tool is below attached, "Snip_example_2".  My main question here is what is the easiest way to verify there are Z-values on these contours?  They are to be utilized to create 3D surfaces eventually, but searching through the web and other sources I cannot seem to verify any actual methods to pretty much check the data for accuracy/elevation.  Any examples, tips?

Thank you

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JimCousins
MVP Regular Contributor

Tory,

After you have created contours, the contour elevation is an attribute in the table. If you have the 3D Analyst extension, 3D ANALYST TOOLS >> 3D FEATURES >> FEATURE TO 3D BY ATTRIBUTE.

Regards,

Jim

View solution in original post

3 Replies
SteveLynch
Esri Regular Contributor

There are not any z-values on the contour lines, the output from the Contour tool is a 2D polyline feature class. Each polyline has an attribute, named contour. Think of slicing a potato, the lines represent these horizontal slices.

-Steve

TorySanna
New Contributor III

Is it possible at all to assign Z-values to the contour lines, based off of the elevation data from the original DEM?  OR do the contour lines have to be created a different way to have z-values assigned?

0 Kudos
JimCousins
MVP Regular Contributor

Tory,

After you have created contours, the contour elevation is an attribute in the table. If you have the 3D Analyst extension, 3D ANALYST TOOLS >> 3D FEATURES >> FEATURE TO 3D BY ATTRIBUTE.

Regards,

Jim