Updating & Generating Overviews on Mosaic Dataset with 10 SP2

05-16-2011 04:30 AM
larryzhang
Occasional Contributor III
Hi, all,

With 10 SP2, we are facing one new issue, the lowest resolution level of overviews missing, when updating or creating overviews on larger Mosaic Dataset. 

In other word, if using the boundary of large Mosaic Dataset (containing 800-900 raster datasets) to define the extent of the mosaic dataset for overviews, saying 5 levels, the level 5 (lowest resolution of overview) should be visible at the extent of the mosaic dataset. But, with SP2, many lower levels of overviews are missing.

After examining, some lower levels (especially, level 5) do not cover whole extent of the mosaic dataset, i.e., only partially covering the region (see the snapshot 1).

With SP2, when some overviews missing or undefined, we usually choose the option to allow the application re-generating and re-building. Yes, we tried it several times in different ways so that this case is still reproduced under 64-bit Vista & 2008 SP2.

Is it reproducible in your workstations?  Missing anything?

http://help.arcgis.com/en/arcgisdesktop/10.0/help/index.html#/Mosaic_dataset_overviews/009t000000400...

+++++++
In fact, this issue did not exist in ArcGIS 9.3.x, 10, and 10 SP1. Over there, the lowest level always covers whole extent completely. (See the snapshot 2 in 9.3.1 and snapshot 3 in 10 SP1).
0 Kudos
2 Replies
JeffreySwain
Esri Regular Contributor
The coarsest overview should cover the entire area as it should match the boundary file.  I would consider with your modified boundary, redefining and rebuilding all of the overviews. It appears as if the overview you have indicated is only a partial and has not caught up with the entire dataset.  Have you tried deleting the overviews and re defining them? 

If you have tested that procedure then I recommend creating a Support incident to determine what may have happened. I have not had trouble creating mosaic datasets at SP2, then rebuilding the footprints as you have done and not lost the coarsest overview.
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: hlzhang525

Thanks, Jeff,

After many tries, in addition to overviews, also have a feeling that the version of SP2 is not working properly with MrSID images.

Maybe, missing something!

The coarsest overview should cover the entire area as it should match the boundary file. I would consider with your modified boundary, redefining and rebuilding all of the overviews. It appears as if the overview you have indicated is only a partial and has not caught up with the entire dataset. Have you tried   deleting the overviews and re defining them?  

If you have tested that procedure then I recommend creating a Support incident to determine what may have happened. I have not had trouble creating mosaic datasets at SP2, then rebuilding the footprints as you have done and not lost the coarsest overview.

In fact, owing to working on large mosaic dataset (for example, thousands of scenes of very-high-resolution images to be updated annually), usually we donâ??t delete existing overviews and re-generate overviews from the scratch, when updating image services.

So, what we do from processed data is:

1. To add new image datasets into the existing mosaic dataset;
2. To build footprints on new datasets;
3. To define overviews on the new datasets (with overall boundary), and then
4. To build overviews on newly-defined overviews (including able to update the coarsest overview).

This used to work, somehow.

One day, if directly working on RAW datasets, it would need more extensive operations (i.e., building pyramids & statistics, color-correction, etc) to update existing mosaic dataset.

On the corporate courses of action, any cluster servers and associated services should not be interrupted at 24/7, at least, not over one hour.
0 Kudos