Unable to use own digital elevation model raster in Video Multiplexer tool

Jump to solution
09-02-2021 02:53 PM
MervynLotter
Occasional Contributor III

Hi there

I am struggling with the Video Multiplexer tool. I am unable to use my own Digital Elevation Model as input. I have tried different formats (.tif & .crf) and projections but I always get the " ERROR 002650: Error extracting data from the provided elevation layer."  error.  Any suggestions as to what may be the problem?

I am able to run the VM tool using the Living Atlas Terrain layer (https://elevation.arcgis.com/arcgis/services/WorldElevation/Terrain/ImageServer).  I have a question  around this too. This terrain service is made up of different data products. Some very coarse. How can I ensure that the Airbus World Dem 24m is being used when running this tool with the terrain image service?  Should I be using the Make Image Server Layer to query for a specific product? 

Thank you.

Regards

Mervyn

12 Replies
CodyBenkelman
Esri Regular Contributor

Javier

I just tested with Pro 2.8.1, and the *.ntf format images have a coordinate system defined.  Are you querying properties of the NTF layer, or the image inside the NTF container?

CodyBenkelman_0-1638204097916.png

re: scaling, when you say the scaling seems "a bit" off, can you be more specific/quantitative?  It's hard to advise without more information.   If you have RTK, I presume your altitude is accurate but other parameters (orientation angles and field of view) impact the accuracy of the extracted image size and location.

Sensor True Altitude refers to height above MSL/geoid.  http://esriurl.com/FMVFAQ 

Cody B.

0 Kudos
NickWallingford
Esri Contributor

`Sensor True Altitude` is height above the MSL/geoid. `Sensor Ellipsoid Height` is height above the WGS84 ellipsoid. We do not have a mechanism to input height above ground.

If the scaling is off, that could indicate a few things. The first things to check are that the altitude is correct and that the field of view is correct.

The Phantom 3 and 4 we use for testing tend to have systematic altitude errors; for any given flight, the altitude reported by the drone is off by a fixed amount for the whole flight. It's so bad we're not necessarily able to tell if the altitude it's reporting is HAE or MSL -- we take the ground elevation of the takeoff point and the reported altitude when takeoff occurred, and apply the difference between the known ground elevation and the reported takeoff altitude, and apply that difference to the reported altitude for the flight. This seems to work well enough.

Unfortunately I don't have a good workflow for determining what the field of view is. I do know that the FoV that works best for our Phantom 4 is not the FoV reported by the Phantom 4 spec sheet. Which is not ideal.

0 Kudos
Xabierr
New Contributor III

Thanks @CodyBenkelman The marker in the image attached is 42x30 cm but measures ~126x80 cm on the map... so about 3x larger. The NTF image comes up with an Unknown Coordinate System.   

Thanks @NickWallingford. Altitude should be spot on as Im using the Phantom 4 RTK (~3 cm vertical). It is above ellipsoid but Ive converted to above MSL. 

Ive zipped a photo at ground elevation, the video, metadata (from Site Scan LE app), field mapping and DEM: https://www.dropbox.com/s/b6q8omwmqw60mk7/Test_FMV.zip?dl=0

Im using 2.9 but had the same issue with 2.8.

cheers,

Javier 

0 Kudos