Tutorial for Full Motion Video is available for download!

08-02-2016 04:18 PM
JeffLiedtke
Esri Contributor

There was a lot of interest in the Esri FMV Add-in during the recent Esri UC2016 conference and with the release of the FMV 1.3.2 Add-In for Desktop 10.3.x, 10.4.x and 10.5, this interest has only escalated. 

Esri has posted a tutorial online that provides a series of exercises, supporting documentation and sample data to help orient users about FMV functionality. 

The topics in the tutorial are geared towards operational workflows and cover the DVR controls in the FMV Video Player, creating and managing bookmarks, capturing video frames, mapping features in both the video layer and map, searching a video archive for specific clips covering a specific location, feature or timeframe, creating a report, and multiplexing or combining video and metadata in separate files into one MISB-compliant video file.

The training exercise document is available here, while the entire tutorial is available here.

19 Replies
CodyBenkelman
Esri Regular Contributor

Greg

Can you confirm which version you are using?  I just copied your text above and ran the Multiplexer in Pro 2.4 (beta), and I got a footprint on the map.  I assume you're on Pro?

If you're on Pro 2.3, there may have been changes in the Multiplexer in the version I just ran - I'll check that with our dev team. 

Cody B

0 Kudos
GregAldrich
New Contributor II

Sure.  I am using 2.3.2

Here is what I get

0 Kudos
CodyBenkelman
Esri Regular Contributor

Greg

I tested with 2.4 beta, and 2.3; I don't have 2.3.2 installed but it worked in both cases.  I don't know why you are having this problem - I'll upgrade to 2.3.3 now and try again

A few other notes that may be helpful - is the snippet above your entire metadata file, or just a subset?  There are definitely some erroneous values, and our engineer tells me if there are bad values it can cause the tool to fail.  e.g. in record #52 the Relative Azimuth jumps suddenly to 355 degrees.  If there are values outside [-180,360] it can cause failures.  Your relative elevation angle values look questionable too.  Could you try running a filter in MS Excel to smooth out bad values?

Cody B.

0 Kudos
GregAldrich
New Contributor II

EDIT: I went back to the raw metadata export and did not use excel this time 

For some reason in excel even if I change the column format to number, when I save, close and reopen it gets changed back to general format.

Ran the non-scientific notation data and video through the multiplexer again and got the same result.

I understand about the outlying values, but you mentioned that they work just fine on your machine.

Any ideas why it won't work on mine?

0 Kudos
GIS-Cambria
Occasional Contributor II

I had a lull in video related projects and I missed the notice with the FMV tools for Pro becoming a paid toolbox around the 2.2-2.3 updates and moving to Image Analyst Extension for ArcGIS Pro. I’ve been, and continue to be, very pleased that video is seen as part of a robust GIS especially with UAVs collecting and integrating imagery for local updates and intel. Moving FMV into a paid license makes business sense, I guess, but it’s a downer that what was once a benefit for the masses is now limited to the few. It’s like ESRI is pursuing solutions that make sense to some but to many of the existing customers “cuts off its nose to spite its face”.

Sure, we can use FMV in 10.7 Desktop for now, but when will that carpet be pulled from underneath us? It would be great if ESRI can put the FMV tools back into Pro as a regular toolbox and help usher in the ArcGIS Pro acceptance with recognizing that GIS comes from every media--what better tool than FMV?

0 Kudos
GregAldrich
New Contributor II

Steve,

I don’t know where you got this information.

Here is a screenshot from the FMV web page

Seems pretty clear this is not a paid toolbox.

0 Kudos
GIS-Cambria
Occasional Contributor II

Thanks Greg. That is the landing page for FMV but clicking on the links does result in different information for FMV in ArcGIS Pro. Maybe some of the tools are still available in the Pro toolboxes somewhere but from what I'm reading in these links it doesn't look like it. https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/help/analysis/image-analyst/introduction-to-full-motion-video-in-a.... If I'm incorrect please show me the tools elsewhere in Pro 2.3.3.

0 Kudos
GregAldrich
New Contributor II

Hmm. Maybe you're right.

0 Kudos
SuongSovann
New Contributor

How can I download ArcGIS Full Motion Video Add-In for ArcGIS Desktop 10.6 or 10.7?

0 Kudos
CodyBenkelman
Esri Regular Contributor

Note that support for FMV in ArcMap 10.x is different than in ArcGIS Pro 2.X.  For users of Pro, FMV is included within the Image Analyst extension.  This requires activation with a licensing file, but not a separate installation.

For ArcMap 10.x, FMV must be downloaded and installed, and also must be licensed (no cost for the license).

The FAQs available at https://www.esriurl.com/FMVfaq  list this:

Please go to the Full Motion Video product page http://www.esri.com/fmv and scroll to the bottom for full licensing instructions. The FMV landing page outlines two ways to license the product. The first is via TeleBusiness, which lets you place your order via phone. Once the phone order is processed, you will receive an email that includes an authorization number to activate FMV and a link in your My Esri portal with a token that gives you download permission. You can call (800)447-9778 between 8am 5pm PT Monday Friday.

The second method is through your My Esri account. Log in to your My Esri portal (my.esri.com) and click on the Downloads tab under ‘My Organizations’. Select the version of ArcGIS for Desktop that you currently own and click on the Download link at the top of the page, in the ‘Get Started’ box will be a link to request the Full Motion Video License.

0 Kudos