Special camera needed to capture "oriented images"? Can any image be "georeferenced" to make an OI?

09-30-2020 07:26 AM
Labels (2)
AZendel
Occasional Contributor III

Do you need a special camera to create oriented images? I'm mostly talking about 'street side images' taken by a person standing on the ground, not any type of airborne images. Does the camera need to record the X/Y of the camera, compass direction/heading, pitch, etc at the time of image capture? If not, how would you go about "georeferencing" an image that I captured with a camera that is not "GPS enabled"? And what about cameras that are GPS enabled (like most smartphones)? They seem to only store X/Y or lat/long and "altitude"? But how would you specify the azimuth, pitch, etc?

I've read through a good portion of the documentation and workflows about creating oriented image catalogs, but they seem to pertain to workflows where you already have a collection of OI's. 

Thanks,

Alex

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Alex,

You don't need special cameras to create oriented imagery catalog. Minimum requirement is to have X/Y location of the camera for Oriented Imagery to work. 

GPS enabled cameras like smartphones will work.

Most smartphones like iPhone have lat/long and heading properties. Other properties such as Pitch and Roll, user can set it manually by just looking at the images. For street-side images, you can set pitch = 90 and Roll = 0.

Sample app - Oriented Imagery Viewer 

Images for this dataset were taken using iPhone and then an OIC was created. 

You can take a look at these storymaps to get an overview of Oriented imagery

Oriented Imagery 

https://storymaps.arcgis.com/stories/52e4181513d0467ab39aadd97ea9a9ff 

0 Kudos