Site Scan Apps Explanation

Jump to solution
06-09-2020 10:43 AM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I was trying to use Site Scan when it was 3DR's Esri edition and never got it to work right. And then Esri bought it out and it's now Site Scan Limited Edition, but it never seems to get updates?

I see Site Scan (the full app?) was updated with a ton of new features. This is confusing. There are two apps, one free and one as part of a paid package? If we are existing Esri customers, why do we have to pay for yet another app just to fly a drone? We already pay for Drone2Map, we shouldn't have to buy a package of drone stuff we don't need to use the full version of a drone planning app. Include Site Scan with a license of Drone2Map. Why make us pay for even more stuff?

The LE was last updated several months ago with very minor fixes, no new features. If the full app is being updated more frequently, can someone explain why it's part of some special paid drone package and not at least provided to paid Drone2Map customers?

Tags (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JeremiahJohnson_Esri
Esri Contributor

Nathan,

When we created Site Scan, we realized that there was a need for a free, disconnected, app for Drone2Map users. We created Site Scan Esri Edition, now Site Scan Limited Edition, to fit the bill. From a developer's perspective, these two apps are identical save for a flag that limits LE from connecting to the Site Scan cloud (for processing, flight plan sharing, and fleet management). Thus when Site Scan updates, LE will update either at the same time, or with a two week delay due to additional testing.

I have verified that both Site Scan and Site Scan LE are running version 4.0 which is the latest version. If your LE app is not showing the features listed in the 4.0 update, please check to ensure that the app is up-to-date in the app store. If you're seeing inconsistencies let us know and we'll look into it!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
JeremiahJohnson_Esri
Esri Contributor

Nathan,

When we created Site Scan, we realized that there was a need for a free, disconnected, app for Drone2Map users. We created Site Scan Esri Edition, now Site Scan Limited Edition, to fit the bill. From a developer's perspective, these two apps are identical save for a flag that limits LE from connecting to the Site Scan cloud (for processing, flight plan sharing, and fleet management). Thus when Site Scan updates, LE will update either at the same time, or with a two week delay due to additional testing.

I have verified that both Site Scan and Site Scan LE are running version 4.0 which is the latest version. If your LE app is not showing the features listed in the 4.0 update, please check to ensure that the app is up-to-date in the app store. If you're seeing inconsistencies let us know and we'll look into it!

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks that clarifies it. I also just read your blog post on Site Scan FAQs and wanted clarification on this: " It contains the same flight planning features as Site Scan Flight Planning, but does not include the cloud connectivity and processing functionality, and does not allow the user to control the drone in flight." I'm assuming this doesn't apply to being able to take control for emergency situations? Birds, strong winds, etc. that users could interrupt the flight, take control, and bring to safety? Seems odd that users wouldn't be able to take control of their drone once in a flight/mission. Thanks.

0 Kudos
JeremiahJohnson_Esri
Esri Contributor

Can you send me a link to where you read that? It sounds like a typo to me!

Site Scan always allows users to pause, cancel, return to home, or manually control the drone during an automated mission.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Site Scan for ArcGIS: Frequently Asked Questions 

Looks like you may have taken care of it already!