publishing an mxd with image services in it

05-03-2010 02:52 PM
JohnKoudelka
New Contributor
I have found tidbits around the forum and blogs that it can be done, but nothing stating any necessary steps to get it to work.

I have 3 image services (30m, 1m, 0.15m) and I want to publish them as a single map service so that scale dependencies will turn on and off my layers as the user zooms in and out. This will eventually be consumed by a Flex app.

When I publish the mxd, the result is a blank service. Anyone figure this out?

Thanks,
john
0 Kudos
3 Replies
FabioPetaccia
New Contributor II
I try now and I have the same problem
0 Kudos
PeterBecker
Esri Regular Contributor
Generally it is best not to serve an MXD that contains imagery and vectors. This will result in a map being returned a map that can not be compressed well. It is better to return separate layers for vectors and imagery. The vectors as PNG and the imagery as JPEG.
If you want to use imagery in a flex application I would recommend that you directly connect the flex app to Image Services (See Image Service in the Flex help). These provide more functionality (eg changeable compression) then serving through map services and are more efficient.  Also if you want a layer that contains the three scales of imagery, I would recommend you do this as an Image Service. This way the merging of the imagery is done on the server which is more efficient. If you already have three image services you can create a single service that concatenates these (use ISDefs). It is a bit more efficient to use an Image Service in which you directly import all the imagery at different resolutions. This way you can also get Metadata of the individual images.
0 Kudos
PeterTimmers
Occasional Contributor III
I've also found with mobile services that you shouldn't publish image server layers.   They used to work with 9.2 and possibly with 9.3 but with 9.3.1 image services have been the only way to go.  Image Server layers appear to sometimes not deliver imagery at the mobile end.
0 Kudos