Photo in the EXIF show different number than on the Photo Question

01-23-2022 07:41 PM
PROBERT68
Frequent Contributor

Hi,

When I got a photo from a co-worker, it is a photo that has the latitude and longitude showed on it. When I zipped it  and upload to AGOL and it came out in the wrong.  The person and I had a MS Teams meeting the other day and show me where it is.  They are relocation a toilet cxt that is needed away from a tree and river. It will be in a short distance.

The photo that has the Latitude and Longitude on it and I use it to X, Y location and it is right place.

I checked the EXIF on that photo and showed me a in a different latitude and longitude.   

I wonder if it is the Datum that affects it ?  I had a program and tried to erase it but no luck.

Does anyone know a way of around to fix the problem ? I asked the person what kind of equipment they are using but got no replied.

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

A location can have different coordinates... even though it is stationary ...

the reason?  the datums are different

this applies to any method of denoting location... geographic coordinates (aka longitude/latitude) or projected coordinates (eg UTM, Albers, State Plane in either feet or meters)

The datum is the "model" used to describe earth... no datum? datum not known?  coordinates could be off by a little or a lot, depending on the datum.

So, the coordinate system needs to be know (projected or geographic)

The units need to be known (meters, feet, decimal degrees, etc)

AND the datum

Missing one of the above? Get it

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
PROBERT68
Frequent Contributor

Dan,

I do want to back it up a bit.  I have that photo from a co-worker in an email.  I went go over to this site and test it   in that site : https://tool.geoimgr.com/ 

So I had to get from this co-worker that sent me in an email and do all over again and see if it works .  It seemed work this time.

FYI, You can test it in Google Earth and test it if it came up  correctly place.  Yes it did.

So, be careful what you do when you get a photo.  Always make a backup if things go wrong .

So I learned a lesson .

0 Kudos