Mosaic Not Caching at scale

07-27-2011 05:37 AM
CynthiaMatney
New Contributor
Hello.  I have a mosaic dataset that I have added created a msd with.  I've taken this msd and published it to the server.  Then I have created a cache out of this service.  Everything looks great - works fairly fast and everything until I get to the 1:1000 scale - then it's all grayed out.  I have 8 scales and all but the last one works great.  Any ideas?

Thanks!
0 Kudos
5 Replies
JeffreySwain
Esri Regular Contributor
Is that the scale at which the source rasters take over?  Mosaic datasets will utilize overviews and the source rasters. If the cache is coming in grey that is usually an indication that the source rasters are not available or the computer you are using does not have access to them.  I would check to see if the mosaic dataset does the same effect and adjust the path to the source rasters or access to the folder accordingly.
0 Kudos
CynthiaMatney
New Contributor
How do I find out what scale the source rasters take over?  I can zoom in *forever* in the mxd and still have imagery showing (not clear zoomed in completely - but not grey either).
0 Kudos
JeffreySwain
Esri Regular Contributor
Once you add the mosaic dataset to an mxd, if you can right click the preview and select zoom to source resolution and then see the raster, the source rasters are good.  If you zoom out and then they disappear at different intervals then use the selection tool and then select the blank area.  This should highlight an overview in the attribute table of the mosaic dataset footprint.  Then you can evaluate that one and see if the permissions, access to them or if they need to be created. For a question this complex it may be easier to create a Support Incident and then have the analyst set up a desktop streaming session and take a look at it with you. 

About your question on the scale the overviews take over, there is information about the Min/Max pixel size here

There is a direct relationship between the cell size and scale. Both can be calculated using the following:

Scale = Cell Size x 96/0.0254

Therefore, if the scale is 1:20,000, the cell size is 5.29 meters.

Cell Size = Scale x 0.0254/96

Therefore, if the cell size is 5 meters, the scale is 1:18,898.
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
The caching process sometimes creates blank and/or white tiles when using Mosaic datasets. When this happens no error is reported in the server log because the tiles are actually created in the cache folder but are white in color.

Consider increasing the 'Maximum Number of Rasters per Mosaic' value to higher number so that all the images are visible for the required extent in the caching process.

Refer below url link for more information:
http://support.esri.com/en/knowledgebase/techarticles/detail/39255
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
The caching process sometimes creates blank and/or white tiles when using Mosaic datasets. When this happens no error is reported in the server log because the tiles are actually created in the cache folder but are white in color.

Consider increasing the 'Maximum Number of Rasters per Mosaic' value to higher number so that all the images are visible for the required extent in the caching process.

Refer below url link for more information:
http://support.esri.com/en/knowledgebase/techarticles/detail/39255
0 Kudos