mosaic dataset caching missing raster

Jump to solution
06-01-2017 01:33 PM
ShirleyLi
New Contributor III

I tried to create cache for a published map service using Manage Tiles. The job succeeded but there are no tiles (see attached). I found a warning in the server log -- "missing raster (source of the mosaic dataset)".   The mosaic is in SDE and the source data is in R drive on the server. I'm actually mapping the network drive on my computer with a drive letter "G", so in the warning message, the source starts with "G". I repaired the path in this mosaic dataset to the location in R drive on the server. I tried to create cache again and got the missing raster warning, no tiles...

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
GünterDörffel
Occasional Contributor III

Hi Shirley,
I understand your information as such:

• You have stored a MosaicDataset in an (Enterprise)SDE
  • You have made sure the Server running the SDE/the ArcGIS Server have the right path to the images
  • After fixing the paths you have updated the service?

Then you should check these next:

• You made sure that your ArcGIS Server (the user it runs as) is allowed to access the path given (Server credentials have access to your R-Drive)?
  • In case you did not store overviews in SDE - the overview path is also accessible by your server using the right path and credentials?

If all that is met, things should work ...

Regards
Guenter

View solution in original post

6 Replies
AbdullahAnter

Did you build overviews?

0 Kudos
GünterDörffel

Hi Shirley,
I understand your information as such:

• You have stored a MosaicDataset in an (Enterprise)SDE
  • You have made sure the Server running the SDE/the ArcGIS Server have the right path to the images
  • After fixing the paths you have updated the service?

Then you should check these next:

• You made sure that your ArcGIS Server (the user it runs as) is allowed to access the path given (Server credentials have access to your R-Drive)?
  • In case you did not store overviews in SDE - the overview path is also accessible by your server using the right path and credentials?

If all that is met, things should work ...

Regards
Guenter

ShirleyLi
New Contributor III

Hi Gunter,

Thank you for you reply.

The server account has access to the R-drive and the overview is stored in SDE. After fixing the path, I recreated the tiles using the manage tile tool on the map service. but still the tiles are missing.

is there anything else I should check?

Thank you!

0 Kudos
ShirleyLi
New Contributor III

it turned out the server account has access to R-drive but not the subfolder where the raster is. now everything works. thanks!

GünterDörffel

Hi Shirley - glad you could fix it. And by the way: I strongly support Codys remarks towards "real" ImageServices as compared to MapServices for serving Imagery - besides legal issues (see What types of services can you publish?—Documentation | ArcGIS Enterprise  for service types: To actually SERVE out MosaicDatasets you need Image Server) - the use of ImageServices for offers many advantages from service creation and options via compression settings (bandwidth used)  to dynamic use of raster processes ... check it out 🙂

Regards Guenter

CodyBenkelman
Esri Regular Contributor

Shirley - can you give us more information?  This leaves too many issues unknown.

1) what version of software are you using?

2) what is the data - is this elevation data, 32 bit floating point values?  Are you caching a hillshaded view?

3) does the mosaic dataset appear to work normally at all scales, and it's only the cache that is failing?

4) you mention a map service; I would normally have advised an image service.  Caching a map service starts at the smallest scales, then proceeds to large scales, whereas with imagery the caching starts at large scale.  Have you tried an image service?

5) if this still fails, can you copy the verbose text from the caching tool so we can see what it is saying?

Thanks
Cody B. 

0 Kudos