Landsat Apparent Reflectance Conversion

01-19-2014 07:58 PM
ClayBarrett
New Contributor
Hello,

I'm attempting to process a number of Landsat 5 and 7 images using Apparent Reflectance via the Edit Raster Function. I've made headway as using ArcGIS versions prior to 10.2 failed to read the new metadata file format, but the output is the same indicating that the function failed somewhere (silently).

[INDENT]Method:
Export an RFT file of just using Apparent Reflectance (http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/main/10.2/index.html#//009t0000023s000000).
Load a Landsat image
Use arcpy to fire Edit Raster Function (http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/main/10.2/index.html#//001700000163000000) using the RFT filefor Apparent Reflectance on a band of the Landsat image.[/INDENT]

This process completes, but output is identical to the input (no change, this function modifies the input rather than creating a new output).

Attempting to setup a geodatabase to process this imagery seems to indicate the metadata still isn't being read somehow, as the gain & offset are not loaded when the images is added to the gdb.

I have the same result now that I've installed the Landsat 8 patch (http://support.esri.com/en/downloads/patches-servicepacks/view/productid/66/metaid/2012) Anyone have success running this function? I'm beginning to think writing my own python script is the best workaround.
0 Kudos
5 Replies
ClayBarrett
New Contributor
Trying the Apparent Reflectance function a different way, it still does not behave as I expect:

• Window > Image Analysis

• Function Editor

• Select a Landsat 5 band image > Insert > Apparent Reflectance

Result is that Gain and Bias are still unpopulated, despite the help describing that that's the point of this function. Somehow it is failing to read my images as valid Landsat imagery. I've tested it with Landsat 5 and 8 images, same result as the image attached. Anybody have this function run successfully?
0 Kudos
ClaraIvanescu
New Contributor

hei Clay,

I have the exact same problem. Did you maybe found a solution to it?

Best,

Clara

0 Kudos
ClayBarrett
New Contributor

Sorry this may be too late.

I could not find a way to do this in Arc, so I programmed it in Python. If you are still working on this I can point you to some resources I used.

Best,

Clay

0 Kudos
MattSchauer
New Contributor

Hi Clay. I am having the exact same problem trying to use the Apparent Reflectance function for Landsat 8 imagery in Arc - nothing has worked and I am pretty much giving up and just want to write a Python script that does it to see albedo. Do you happen to have those resources you mentioned or would you be willing to show an example script?

0 Kudos
ClayBarrett
New Contributor

Hi Matt,

I was using pre-LS8 data, so I'm not sure what is different between the resources I used and what you need.

The information you need to understanding converting: Landsat 7 Handbook

Table for if you wish to convert the thermal band(s): Landsat 7 Handbook

An example conversion script: skochaver/reflectance-tools · GitHub

An example if you're into GDAL (I used the metadata reader concept from here): Landsat DN to radiance script using GDAL and Numpy.

Best,

Clay

0 Kudos