Impervious surfaces and flood prediction for Urban Centres

07-10-2018 01:50 AM
Labels (3)
JacobHollback1
New Contributor

First post here! Sorry if this isn't the right avenue for a discussion and brain storming post. I was wanting to get some advise and wisdom from the community about a project I have in mind. 

Missouri has been experiencing increasing precipitation with a percentage rise in both frequency and magnitude due to climate change over the past decade. Record numbers of floods have been recorded (the April-May 2017 flood was particularly damaging) and the data, while still preliminary, indicates the trend will continue.

Managing storm-water run off is vital for city infrastructure in the case of flooding, and the project I have in mind would be calculate an urban area's impervious surfaces from satellite imagery to create a predictive rainfall-runoff model with the latest predicted trends, then use a DEM of the watershed and discharge data from hydrographs, combined with the impervious surface rain-runoff model to predict potential flooding for the urban area. 

I have never attempted anything like this before that would combine so many elements, and I've not done predictive modeling before. Does this workflow sound realistic at all? Any tips, insights or suggestions for predictive modeling of stormwater flood runoff in an impervious area? 

Cheers

0 Kudos
1 Reply
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

I believe ESRI has some ArcHydro tools in ArcMap (not Pro) that might be able to assist you with a project of this type.  I would try to get in contact with ESRI support so they can get you started.  You might need to apply for funding for a project such as this where ESRI could set it up for you with a combination of your data, census data and possibly free DEM data (not sure of it's accurateness or timeliness).

0 Kudos