image service published to ArcGIS server not visible when zooming in

08-18-2010 01:53 PM
GabiVoicu
Occasional Contributor
I have created an .iscdef file that is running on the image server and is drawing just fine at all scales - but whenever publishing this .iscdef file to ArcGIS Server as an image service the service would not draw beyond certain scale when zoomed in...

Thank you
0 Kudos
11 Replies
RobertBerger
New Contributor III
Hi Gabi,

It sounds like the ArcGIS SOM and SOC do not have access to your source images. You have the overviews which are available but the source data cannot be accessed, thus the pixels cannot be drawn. You'll have to give your SOM and SOC access to the location where your source images are located at.
That should help.

Robert
0 Kudos
GabiVoicu
Occasional Contributor
Hi Gabi,

It sounds like the ArcGIS SOM and SOC do not have access to your source images. You have the overviews which are available but the source data cannot be accessed, thus the pixels cannot be drawn. You'll have to give your SOM and SOC access to the location where your source images are located at.
That should help.

Robert

Thank you Robert!
I did give ArcGIS SOM/SOC account access to the shared location on the network and I also did the changes suggested by an older thread pasted here with the log on using this account for the ESRI ImageServer Provider. None of that helped!
All ArcGIS Desktop, Server and Image Server is at version 9.3.1 installed on a virtual server running Windows Server 2008 R2 in 64-bit environment.

http://forums.esri.com/Thread.asp?c=191&f=2259&t=302995&g=1
http://forums.esri.com/Thread.asp?c=191&f=2263&t=254230&mc=8#msgid779077
http://forums.esri.com/Thread.asp?c=191&f=2263&t=252071&mc=3

Thank you
0 Kudos
ScottLamon1
Occasional Contributor
I am having a slightly similar issue.  My problem isn't that the imagery can't be seen when zoomed to lower levels, it's that only some areas can't be seen.  I can zoom into 1:3,500 and on half the screen I see imagery and the other half i see nothing.
Does anyone have any thoughts?
0 Kudos
RobertBerger
New Contributor III
Greetings,

Is your data still available from your machine? Sometimes when data gets moved you see these kinds of issues.

Robert
0 Kudos
HelioInostroza
New Contributor
Greetings,

Is your data still available from your machine? Sometimes when data gets moved you see these kinds of issues.

Robert

I'm having the same problem. Mosaic dataset display well in arccatalog, but when i create the image service, some areas display with blank areas.
I'm using windows 2008 server R2 standard and arcgis image server 10
If  anyone can help me will be apreciated.
Thanks

Helio
0 Kudos
JeffreySwain
Esri Regular Contributor
If you are importing multiple iscdefs then chances are the overviews created for the individual image services will not sync up. I recommend in those cases to generate new overviews once all of the source rasters are added. Also when you are noticing the missing tiles, try to determine if there is an overview generated there that is not visible or the Min/Max pixel is different from the images that display. There is a chance that those values have not been properly updated.
0 Kudos
JohnMojapelo
New Contributor
Greetings,

Robert

N.B. Image Service published to Image Server Manager not visible when zooming in

In my case, it's only when using .isdef file that the service stays visible at all possible scales. For the published version (.iscdef), I could not zoom in pass 1:17000.

I have invited our local ESRI branch expert but we couldn't find the solution. We are in our few remaining months before switching to ArcGIS 10 (currently on 9.3.1).

Can someone help please, it's getting ugly.
0 Kudos
JeffreySwain
Esri Regular Contributor
If you can see the overviews, but not the source rasters then it is the permission to see the source raster that is the problem. Check the path used in the ISDEF to access the source rasters.  Be sure that the Service Provider/SOC has access to that data.  You may not have added the provider and SOC accounts to that folder.  If you the Branch office cannot help, then I recommend creating a Support Incident.
0 Kudos
JoeHershman
MVP Regular Contributor
Your solution does work but it is still causing me a problem that I am not resolving.  I moved some of my imagery over to the local disk and built the services from there and it all works.  However, I am still having an issue when the imagery is stored on a network share.  I have checked and the "Everyone" user has read permissions to this folder, but the issue still exists.

Is there a special way that permissions need to be set on a network share so that the SOC will have the appropriate access?  My SOC user is not a domain user only a local user on the AGS machine, I am not sure if I will need to make the user a domain user (that seems like an odd requirement to me).  Is there something else I am missing?

Thanks
-joe
Thanks,
-Joe
0 Kudos