Image serve can not access data on remote machine

04-13-2010 06:56 PM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: sfeng

Hi,

I installed the image server on server A, and the image data are on computer B, which are shared to server A.  As the imgae server administrator, I can add the images on computer B as services, and I can view the data correctly. But if tries to add the service to ArcMap as client, I can only will the pyrimid the images. I can see no data when zoom in, and when I identify the image, the pixel value are all 0.

I guess the image server have no permission to read the data on computer B, so I created an SOC account on B, with same user name and password as the image server, but that didn't work.

Any help is appreciated.

Song
0 Kudos
8 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: FabioP

Hi,
what is the connection that loads data on the project? how they are connected the two computers?
I have created imagery service with data loaded with SDE connection or a NAS and I had no problems with loading, but other problems
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks for your reply. The two computers are in the same LAN, they can visit each other in the netowrk. There is no database connection.

I just found out the reason why the image server can't read data. Because the data folder on B is mapped as a drive Z:\ on A, and when I added the data as service, I used the mapped path, like Z:\images\... , But when I use the absolut path, like \\B\C:\images\... the image serve can load the data correctly.
0 Kudos
PeterBecker
Esri Regular Contributor
Are you publishing the image services from an Image Service Definition (ISCDef)? When you author a service using the Image Service Definition editor you are connected to the share using your account. When you publish the ISCDef the access it done by the Service Provider that runs as a service. By default the Service Provider runs as User SYSTEM. SYSTEM will not have by default access to the share. You either need to change the share access to allow SYSTEM read access or change the user of the Service Provider process to a user that has a log in. (use Services.msc). The reason you can see the overviews is the the overviews would be by default on the local machine the SYSTEM has access to.
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: FabioP

Thanks for your reply. The two computers are in the same LAN, they can visit each other in the netowrk. There is no database connection.

I just found out the reason why the image server can't read data. Because the data folder on B is mapped as a drive Z:\ on A, and when I added the data as service, I used the mapped path, like Z:\images\... , But when I use the absolut path, like \\B\C:\images\... the image serve can load the data correctly.

good works 🙂
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Are you publishing the image services from an Image Service Definition (ISCDef)? When you author a service using the Image Service Definition editor you are connected to the share using your account. When you publish the ISCDef the access it done by the Service Provider that runs as a service. By default the Service Provider runs as User SYSTEM. SYSTEM will not have by default access to the share. You either need to change the share access to allow SYSTEM read access or change the user of the Service Provider process to a user that has a log in. (use Services.msc). The reason you can see the overviews is the the overviews would be by default on the local machine the SYSTEM has access to.

You are right. At first my data folder was shared to everyone so I didn't see this problem. Now I have changed the user of the Service Provider. Thanks!
0 Kudos
MelanieHarlow
Esri Contributor
I know this has been described already, but I wanted to point out for others that it is documented. This is the same configuration for any version of ArcGIS Image Server.
http://help.arcgis.com/en/imagemanagement/10.0/help/imageserver_sm/index.html#/About_managing_servic...
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: yavuz1514

i have a similar problem, i have two pc one of them is  A (arcgis web server) and it is out of LAN, my second pc B is in LAN and it has Arcgis map catalog, i want to publish some maps in B via A arcgis web server but i cant success it , i cant load files to web server B from A, i cant see path in A,
could any1 help me.
0 Kudos
yavuzselim
New Contributor
i have a similar problem, i have two pc one of them is A (arcgis web server) and it is out of LAN, my second pc B is in LAN and it has Arcgis map catalog, i want to publish some maps in B via A arcgis web server but i cant success it , i cant load files to web server B from A, i cant see path in A,
could any1 help me.
0 Kudos