Image extension required for serving map services??

05-06-2013 09:36 AM
NateArnold
Occasional Contributor
Hello:
I'd like to understand why ESRI requires the Image extension when serving map services that contain a mosaic dataset.  Mosaic datasets work in all levels of ArcGIS for Destkop without an extension, so why is it required for Server? 

After some testing, we found that the performance of mosaic datasets blew away raster datasets stored in our SDE gdb.  So, I've been steadily converting them all over to mosaic datasets.  So far all our usage has been via Desktop, but this morning I went to change one of our map services so the mosaic and...  cue the sad trombone. 😞

I can understand why the extension would be required for serving the mosaic dataset directly, but why for a map service)? 

Thanks,
Nate
0 Kudos
4 Replies
JeffreySwain
Esri Regular Contributor
Whenever you need a mosaic dataset you need the Image Server extension per the help

I have ArcGIS for Server only.

You can only publish raster datasets and layer files that reference raster datasets.

I am not sure how to explain why some tools require certain licenses.
0 Kudos
NateArnold
Occasional Contributor
Hi Jeff:
Thanks for the response.  The help link you provided is specifically for publishing Image services, which I am not doing.  I'm trying to publish a map service based on an mxd that has a mosaic dataset in it. 

This is the point of my question - why is the extension required for map services?
0 Kudos
GordonSumerling
Esri Contributor
Nate,

Image extension is required when ever you serve a mosaic data set. Now if you had a single image in your MXD then you could serve this MXD via ArcGIS Server as ArxGIS server does allow for the serving of single images either via MXD or via an image service. however, as soon as you need to serve a Mosaic you will require Image Extension.

Cheers
Gordon
0 Kudos
JeffreySwain
Esri Regular Contributor
The map service should still publish, but the mosaic dataset will not display.  The server logs will indicate probably that that mosaic dataset cannot be seen due to licensing.  You could still export the mosaic dataset to a physical raster and then add it to the map document and publish it as you always have, but as long as you have a mosaic dataset or an unmanaged raster catalog, the licensing will be needed.  The only way to publish it otherwise is when you have exported it.  For more specific information, I would recommend contacting your account manager.
0 Kudos