Drone2Map [Error]: Merge tiles: failed to load tile!

09-05-2020 03:59 PM
CrystalThomas
New Contributor

I'm attaching the report from my project, I'm trying to create an ortho but I still haven't been able to merge the tiles after running it twice. Thanks for the help!

0 Kudos
1 Reply
CodyBenkelman
Esri Regular Contributor

Crystal

1) for tutorials, yes.  See here for drone imagery: Create Drone Imagery Products in ArcGIS Pro—Imagery Workflows | Documentation  and here for scanned historical imagery: Create Scanned Aerial Imagery Products in ArcGIS Pro—Imagery Workflows | Documentation 

2) regarding ArcMap vs. Pro, in general yes you can use ArcMap, since the geoprocessing (GP) tools used for Ortho Mapping in ArcGIS Pro are also available in ArcMap.  However, I strongly recommend you use Pro for several reasons.

• The GP tools for Ortho Mapping in ArcMap are at an older version (vs. Pro which have been updated through version 2.6), 
  • ArcGIS Pro uses a workflow on the ribbon that helps with choosing the correct tools and setting parameters based on the data type (e.g. the best settings for drone imagery are different from film, or satellite, etc.)
  • In addition, in Pro there are two visual interfaces that don’t exist in ArcMap:
    • For measuring fiducials (applicable only to film), 
    • And for marking ground control points (GCPs). 

Without these graphical user interfaces in ArcMap, you can still enter coordinates for the fiducials and also for GCPs but that may require you to use other methods to identify the necessary coordinates.

Cody B.