I am trying to georeference a landscape photo taken of an east north east aspect.

04-13-2020 09:19 AM
ScottJones1
Occasional Contributor

This is for a ski area, I am trying to georeference a ski area with trails, lifts and important points of interest. The base maps don't always represent the steepness of the terrain or give the viewer a good understanding of where they actually are in reference to other areas. I have multiple landscape views but they are taken from the East looking West so when I start to georeference the map comes in but at about 6 points completely distorts. The points I add are not enough to display the features. Any ideas?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
PeterBecker
Esri Regular Contributor

Ski lift maps are typically extremely distorted so as to focus on the primary areas of interest. If you are attempting to

georeference on against a base map you will need to add quite a lot of control points and I suggest you use the spline transform. You will likely need to add control point for each lift station some point along the lift, and points at locations along the runs and some on mountain tops, valley edges. Don't expect a pretty map.

0 Kudos
ScottJones1
Occasional Contributor

The ski map was very distorted. I do have a JPEG, but it is a side view. I figured it would be a long process, but as I am trying to do this on an older MAC, and the processing is taking a super long time I am guessing it is not something that I will be able to accomplish.

0 Kudos