How to use "Compute Confusion Matrix" on my own ground truth file?

09-23-2019 01:42 PM
RyanHowell1
New Contributor III

I am running an accuracy assessment on some drone imagery I acquired. Before flying, I generated random points and determined ground truth for each point in the field. After the flight, I turned that into a point feature class where each point has a field called "Classified" with the integer code for each class produced during the classification, and a "Ground_Truth" field with the values I measured in the field. As near as I can tell, it's the same as it would be if I used "Create Accuracy Assessment Points" and "Update Accuracy Assessment Points" as the documentation tells me to, except it will save me time if I don't have to manually reclassify the random points generated by those tools. However, when I try to run the Compute Confusion Matrix tool on my dataset, it gives me a 999999 error.

Does ArcGIS Pro really only generate a confusion matrix if the point file was generated using one of the accuracy assessment tools, or am I missing something? What is the best course of action from this point?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
NorthRoss
New Contributor

I'm having the same issue, I tried renaming the fields to look exactly like the output of the Create Accuracy Assessment tool but no luck. It looks like there is a QGIS plugin for accuracy assessments, I will try this next unless anyone figures this out.

0 Kudos
NorthRoss
New Contributor

I figured it out for my situation: I used the Create Accuracy Assessment tool to generate the same number of points as my own assessment, then joined the table containing my ground truth data. I used Calculate Field to populate the Classified and Ground_truth fields with the data from the joined table, cast as an integer using the int() function. Then, I removed the join and ran generate confusion matrix which works!

The only problem is that the actual location of the points isn't in the right location, but this wasn't an issue for me since I was only interested in making a table to assess accuracy.

0 Kudos