how to read NetCDF format data into ArcGIS?

Jump to solution
10-30-2016 11:19 PM
Yi-JyunLin
New Contributor II

Hello, I have a NetCDF format climate data and would like to ask if anyone know how to convert this format into excel sheet or how to read it into ArcGIS?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Just downloaded the file and if I use the Make NetCFD Raster Layer tool with default values:

... it creates this raster:

Looks fine to me...

I used 10.3 for this.

View solution in original post

20 Replies
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Check the NetCDF Tutorial

Think Location
XanderBakker

In addition to the useful 10.0 link posted by jayanta.poddar you could check out the related help topics of the current version: What is netCDF data?—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop and more specifically Reading netCDF data using geoprocessing tools—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop 

Yi-JyunLin
New Contributor II

Hello Xander,

Thank you. I read through that and try reading the NetCDF data as a raster layer following ArcGIS's instruction, but it seems does not work. For the input netCDF file, I select my netCDF climate file, then I pick temperature as the variable (the x & y variable are just lon & lat). But when I open the attribute table for the layer I just generate, there is nothing there (and also nothing shows on the map). I wonder whether I do something worng.

Thanks

0 Kudos
XanderBakker

Is it possible to share some of your data?

0 Kudos
Yi-JyunLin
New Contributor II

Hello Xander, thanks for trying to help. May I send the data to you via email? If so, please let me know your email address.

0 Kudos
XanderBakker

Hi linyiyi ,

Sorry for the delay. I would prefer that you attach any sample data to this thread. That way multiple users may have a look at it and help solve your problem. If that is not possible for you, you can send me an email with the data to xbakker [at] esri.co (or use for instance WeTransfer if the data is too large to send by email).

0 Kudos
Yi-JyunLin
New Contributor II

Sure. Please find the attached data file.

Again, thank you so much for your help !

0 Kudos
XanderBakker

Hi linyiyi , I am not seeing any file attached. Could you check this please?

0 Kudos
Yi-JyunLin
New Contributor II

sorry, I just notice the data is too large to send...trying to figure out how to send the data via WeTransfer.

0 Kudos