How do I install Image Server 10.5.1 on the same machine as ArcGIS Server?

08-11-2017 08:27 AM
AmyBrassieur
New Contributor III

I moved my 10.3.1 Server and Image Extension to a new virtual server, which leaves me with the old physical server as a development server for 10.5.1.

I ran an update to ArcGIS Server 10.5.1 on the old 10.3.1 install, and it seemed to work. Now, in order to test Image Server, how do I install it on the same machine, since it is just a licensing variant of the ArcGIS Server install?

I want to thoroughly test 10.5.1 before I move it to production, because my SQL database will need an upgrade too. Can I do this on a single machine?  Or is it mandatory that Image Server run on a separate machine?

15 Replies
PeterBecker
Esri Regular Contributor

Easiest way to do that is following this steps: 

1. Use Enterprise Builder to install ArcGIS Portal/Server/Data Store https://enterprise.arcgis.com/en/enterprise/10.5/install/linux/eb-sys-req-link.htm
  2. Add your image server license to authorize your server.
  3. Now configure the server  as raster analytics server following this guide https://enterprise.arcgis.com/en/image/latest/raster-analytics/configure-and-deploy-arcgis-enterpris...
MichaelAugust
Occasional Contributor III

Great - thanks that is very helpful. Is it possible to use an Enterprise geodatabase as a raster datastore?

0 Kudos
JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

There is a difference between licensing a single ArcGIS Server on a single VM for different/multiple roles, and licensing different/multiple ArcGIS Servers on the same VM.  I am not sure if Esri's installers allow the latter, but you don't want to do it even if they do allow for the latter.

All I can say about using an EGDB as a raster datastore, just say no.  Esri effectively moved away from that approach a long time ago.  It might still be supported, but being supported and being recommended are very different.

MichaelAugust
Occasional Contributor III

Ok, I ended up utilizing a file share in the end and everything seems to be working. Regarding the Documentation - when I get to 7a in the link above " Organization > Role." - this part, I'm on 10.7.1 and when I go t o Settings - there is no "Role" tab or anywhere that I can see to edit the roles on the Portal - how do I finish setting this up, or is this info out of date and I no longer need to do this part?

0 Kudos
KrisMilton1
New Contributor II

I'm interested in doing this too. We have a non-federated ArcGIS Server environment that serves basemaps to a number of (non-esri) applications.  We'd like to add an image mosaic base map that we had in previous versions.

If I authorize the Image Server over the top, will it break this existing GIS Server?  

Insisting i need two servers to do the same thing I was doing on one at 10.4 is just annoying.

0 Kudos
JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

You can license multiple roles on the same GIS Server, e.g., ArcGIS GIS Server and ArcGIS Image Server, and each role adds functionality regardless of the other roles.  That said, licensing two roles is two licenses and not one.

0 Kudos