How can clip rasters from an mosaic dataset from multiple polygons and keep the attributes from the original imagery with clips.

04-27-2016 04:02 PM
ChadTedrowe
New Contributor

I am trying export clip raster's for an mosaic dataset but retain the attributes from the imagery that was placed in the attribute table of the mosaic dataset on ingest of that imagery. Is also possible to add some of the attributes from the polygons to the exported clipped raster in order to reference back to the polygon that the imagery was clipped from.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Chad could this be accomplished with a table join if the data has a common key.  The tabular information could be exported and rejoined after the fact if the data structure permits it rather than trying to accomplish it in one common action

0 Kudos
PeterBecker
Esri Regular Contributor

When doing an Export you will get a single image mosaicked together from the appropriate source. What I presume you want is some for of geometry that provides associated metadata from the footprint tablel. One option is to use the 'Create Cache Metadata' tool that is part of MDCacheAndPackage.pyt that is in  Raster Tile Cache Tools

This will generate a shape file that contains the metadata based on the current default sorting order. Under the hood what it it does is generate seamlines based on the current order and then cleans the seamlines, links them to the footprint and exports.

ChadTedrowe
New Contributor

Thanks Dan,

What I was looking for was the meta associated from the satellite ex: date imagery, incidence angle etc. all the metadata pulled from the imagery when it is put into the mosaic. It would not be from multiple overlaid images. Here is the scenario I was looking at, say we receive 25 Spot 7 images. We add those to an mosaic data set. We add a layer of defined areas of interest made up of polygons. I would like to clip those areas from the imagery in the mosaic but retain the attributes from the satellite specifics of the image other than the extents because now those would change. So if I was to put it back into separate mosaic set then I would have the satellite metadata in the attributes table same as when it was ingested in.

Hope that make sense,

Thanks

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

well the list of tools is long An overview of the Raster toolset—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop but I can't find specifically what you may be looking for, or have ruled out already.  And I assume that you have ruled out anything in Peter's link?

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Peter, could you please provide, (or pass on to the team to provide) a list of tools on the download site to ... advertise/let people know ... what is contained inside to toolset.

0 Kudos
PeterBecker
Esri Regular Contributor

Chad,

OK I now better understand what you are looking for. I don't know an existing tool to do this. Essentially you need a tool that for each area of interest determines what overlapping image exist and then for all (or the top one) does a lock raster, then does an export as required and copies the metadata from the mosaic dataset to the Aux.xml file associated with the output file such that the same metadata is associated with the image when added to a new mosaic dataset. It can be done in Python. I know if some python code that does parts of this. Let me see if I can get this dug up and modified.

0 Kudos