Get Started with ArcGIS Full Motion Video (FMV/Drones/UAS/UAV)

10-13-2015 12:28 PM
ReneeBrandt
Occasional Contributor

The FMV team is hosting a free Esri Live Training Seminar (LTS) on Thursday, October 22nd.  If you work with videos captured by UAVs, drones, UASs, orbital sensors, vehicle-mounted or handheld cameras, or other means, attend this session to learn how you can use FMV to exploit this video inside ArcGIS.

Sign up for the session here:  Esri Training | Live Training Seminar: Get Started with ArcGIS Full Motion Video

31 Replies
DouglasRidenour
New Contributor III

Not with the APM.  I'm trying the same thing with a Pix4FMU controller which has a built in SD card reader that you can expand. It also runs the APM firmware and a smaller form factor than the APM. I'll let you know how it works when I can field test it.

0 Kudos
DouglasRidenour
New Contributor III

Rogelio,

I got another logger put together from a PIX4FMU "clone" . It uses the APM:Plane 3.4.0 firmware and seems to be easier to use than the micro APM I originally tried. Below is an image of the logger with the cables running loose and the external USB and safety switch which are both standard on the PIX4FMU removed. From the bottom up the stack consists of a power unit on which I soldered the yellow XT60 connector, the PIX4FMU clone controller, and the GPS on top. The stack is solid so I didn't design a separate enclosure for it after all.

Weight is 40 grams. You could probably reduce that by powering the flight controller through a 5v feed to the input pins and dropping the power unit off but I also want the capability to use this to control planes later-on so I kept the power module.  The PIX4FMU architecture has a built in SD card reader and it has been tested to 16 GB capacity so space shouldn't be an issue.  The cost of the base unit was 55 bucks with the GPS another 30. The actual controller is a RTF MINIHAWK PX4MINIAIO V1.3 . I've tested it on the ground and it seems to work as expected but have not put it up in the air yet. I probably won't get a chance until next weekend as rain is expected here through Sunday.

Also: The cable provided with the GPS unit was not correct so I had to change the wire order so that the power was in the right place and the FMU TX connected to the GPS RX and visa versa.

Obviously, since I have not been able to test it I can't vouch for how well the data supports the upcoming FMV 1.3 multiplexer.

I'll also be at the Esri Federal GIS conference in the UAS area if anyone wants to stop by and chat. If there is any interest (and it works) I can bring this logger as well.

Logger.jpg

0 Kudos