Geotagged Images Stacking On One Another

07-16-2018 08:39 AM
Labels (2)
DaveNuhn
New Contributor III

So I have a few images (16) I have been trying to import into ArcMap 10.3. The images are geotagged and were taken with a Phantom 4 Pro drone. I do not want to lose data within these images by mosaicing them with software (PrecisionMapper, DroneDeploy, Agibotix, etc...) and would like to import them directly into ArcMap. My plan was to import the images and be able to do my own "mosaicing" solely based on the geotagged locations of the images and the overlap of the images would just hide under the preceding image layered above it. However, when importing the images, they just stack on top of one another instead of the different locations at which they were taken. The geotag clearly shows different longitude and latitude and even the furthest image (with the largest difference in Long/Lat) still is overlayed exactly on top. Can anyone shed some light on why the images stack on top of each other? When I download satellite maps they are clearly at different locations and do not stack on top of one another.  I can attach a screenshot if needed. Cheers and thanks to anyone that can help.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Geotagged isn't the same as georeferenced. and I suspect that is the initial problem, but see

GeoTagged Photos To Points—Help | ArcGIS Desktop 

0 Kudos
DaveNuhn
New Contributor III

Dan, thanks for the reply. I do not think "Photos to Points" is what I am looking for. For what I am attempting to achieve I would need the images visible as the entire image not as points. I can georeference  each image to a base map (which I have tried) however, it proves to be time consuming and quite difficult since the images aren't even in the correct orientation.  

0 Kudos
GuenterDoerffel
Esri Contributor

Have you got ArcGIS Pro Advanced available? You need to go to a workflow that takes the Image Metadata and size/location to “map”them to the ground – in Pro Advanced you can do this with the new “Ortho-Workspace” workflow. See help

0 Kudos
DaveNuhn
New Contributor III

Guenter, I appreciate the response. I am not sure if the office I work in has access to ArcGIS Pro Advanced but, I will look into it. Thanks for the heads up. 

0 Kudos