Generate Imagery Basemaps from hosted Imagery Service

10-06-2022 11:41 AM
LanceCole
MVP Regular Contributor

We have generated a comprehensive set of mosaic datasets for about 30 years of overlying aerial orthographic imagery we have amassed.  Subsequently, we have developed a derived mosaic dataset published to our ArcGIS Image Servers and is hosted as a dynamic image service.  This was completed in general accordance with ESRI ArcGIS Imagery Workflows.  The hosted imagery works great with ArcGIS Online and ArcGIS Desktop/Pro.  However, we are trying to build a set of basemaps by year that can be consumed in our web-based applications developed using ArcGIS JavaScrip API and ArcGIS Web AppBuilder v2.25.  We have been very unsuccessful in accessing a multi-year mosaic from these platforms as a definition query or filter does not apply, and the entire collection of overlying data is displayed.

Previously, we had hosted each year as a separate Image Service.  These can be added as individual basemaps in a web app.  However, as the number and size of the image sets grew, we were consuming too many server resources, and the process was not scalable.  Hosting a single derived mosaic dataset reduces the server resources needed and while still providing access to all our imagery.

As noted above, this is easily accomplished using filters or definition queries in AGOL and ArcGIS desktop/Pro but does not carry over to web apps.  I also experimented using mosaic filtering.  This could result in the desired imagery being displayed on top of the other imagery; however, portions of the other imagery could still be seen where it was not overlayed.

Is there a workflow for creating and publishing multi-year basemaps OR accessing an individual year from a derived mosaic dataset hosted as a single Image service for use in web apps as a basemap? 

Any input or guidance would be appreciated. 

1 Reply
CodyBenkelman
Esri Regular Contributor

Lance

Sorry that nobody has replied - I just found your post.  It sounds like you're following our best practices - that's great!  

If you still need help with this, let me know.  

Cody

0 Kudos