From ArcGIS Online or Explorer, how do I find out the date of the ESRI Basemap imagery that is displaying?

01-12-2017 02:10 PM
WayneMillen
New Contributor II

Is there a way to view the date of the ESRI World Atlas Imagery that appears in the Basemap Layer when viewed for an area in ArcGIS Online or Explorer for Desktop?  

0 Kudos
3 Replies
CodyBenkelman
Esri Regular Contributor

This map http://esriurl.com/ImageryBasemapMetadata  includes feature services at different scales to show the imagery date and other metadata down to the pixel level, but note "the pixel" depends on your current view scale (e.g. you will see the date and source change for the same site at different scales - use IDENTIFY in ArcGIS Desktop, or just click in ArcGIS Online and you should get a popup at most of the larger scales)

Cody B.

WayneMillen
New Contributor II

This is a big help but the document information that you linked says that the metadata shown only applies to the "best" imagery at that location (usually the one at smallest scale--zoomed in). You seemed to imply that one could also see the metadata for the larger scale(s) imagery at the same location. That would be ideal. 

0 Kudos
CodyBenkelman
Esri Regular Contributor

Wayne, and anyone else interested - 

This has come up again, and I've verified that the metadata returned is accurate for the zoom level you are viewing (at least, as best we can determine, and after a correction applied today 18 Sept 2017 - if anyone finds errors, please do let us know). As you zoom in and out, you'll see different layers of metadata being enabled and disabled. 

When you click on the map, the popup will tell you the image date and data source.   I'm looking at an area in Las Vegas where the higher resolution data is from 2011, and a lower resolution level came from USDA NAIP in 2015. 

I agree it would be nice if the data could be current and perfect everywhere, at every zoom level, but it takes time and money to do these updates.  For those with a need for more current data, please visit our Marketplace  https://marketplace.arcgis.com/  where several of our business partners offer existing imagery or the opportunity for custom acquisitions.

Cody B.