Extract Metadata from Video not working

Jump to solution
08-03-2016 08:33 AM
RyanStrain
New Contributor III

I have an .mp4 video collected from a GoPro 4 Silver attached to 3DR Solo. I run the "Extract Metadata from Video" geoprocessing tool and it succeeds, although it never creates any metadata items. I need a viable input metadata file to be able to run the "Video Multiplexer" tool. Why am I not able to extract metadata from my .mp4? Is there some way that the .mp4 needs to be collected for the extract metadata tool to create items?

Also the "Video Multiplexer" tool help mentions- "A template file called Video_Multiplexer_MISB_Field_Mapping_Template.csv is included with installation software" . My installation didn't include that file. A google search finds nothing on that file. I was wondering if I could use such a template to create my own metadata manually to run the multiplexer?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JeffLiedtke
Esri Contributor

Hey Ryan, Good news!  The scripts have been updated to also work with SiteScan.  Download the updated document at

https://blogs.esri.com/esri/arcgis/2016/08/03/new-3dr-solo-metadata-integrated-into-esri-fmv/

The updated scripts are embedded in the document; the 3DR_FMV_Logger_Python_Files_v3.x.zip contains the scripts for SiteScan.

Let us know how it works for you.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
RyanStrain
New Contributor III

I guess the key for me would be to have a viable "Input Metadata File" to be able to run the Video Multiplexer. And since the "Extract Metadata from Video" and "Extract Video Extent" tools don't work for my .mp4 video. And also the Metadata capture doesn't write the platform, frame center, frame outline, or anything. Although now that the new tutorial and test data have been released, I tested that .mpeg4 and all tools worked fine. So I'm wondering if I didn't take something into account when recording my .mp4? I'm also wondering how to use the Multiplexer Field Mapping Template? Thanks.

0 Kudos
JeffLiedtke
Esri Contributor

Hello Ryan,

The video you recorded does not contain the metadata you refer to.  Instead, the workflow is to encode the metadata collected by your Solo drone (in CSV format) into the GoPro video.  This is done using the Esri FMV Video Multiplexer tool, which combines the metadata and the video data into one MISB-compliant video file (assuming you have the proper metadata in the right format).

Esri worked with 3DR to make the process of inputting your Solo metadata and GoPro video a straightforward process.  Please refer to the blog https://blogs.esri.com/esri/arcgis/2016/08/03/new-3dr-solo-metadata-integrated-into-esri-fmv/

for step by step details on how to do this.

Once you have the MISB-compliant video file, you can extract the metadata to create the GBD containing the 4 corners of the video frame footprint, frame center and sensor ground track.

The Video_Multiplexer_MISB_Field_Mapping_Template.csv is located in the installation directory:  C:\Program Files (x86)\ArcGIS 10.4 Full Motion Video Geoprocessing Tools\Video Multiplexer Templates.

0 Kudos
RyanStrain
New Contributor III

OK thanks a lot Jeff. We'll have to give that a try. One last thought in case we start flying with SiteScan- Mission Planner has a utility to convert a 3DR .tlog file to .csv file. Is there some process you can outline in which this .csv file could be manipulated into a usable metadata file? Or is that not a possibility without the firmware upgrade?

0 Kudos
JeffLiedtke
Esri Contributor

Hey Ryan, Good news!  The scripts have been updated to also work with SiteScan.  Download the updated document at

https://blogs.esri.com/esri/arcgis/2016/08/03/new-3dr-solo-metadata-integrated-into-esri-fmv/

The updated scripts are embedded in the document; the 3DR_FMV_Logger_Python_Files_v3.x.zip contains the scripts for SiteScan.

Let us know how it works for you.

0 Kudos
RyanStrain
New Contributor III

That is good news! Thanks again.

0 Kudos