Export from Image Analysis Window Fails

Jump to solution
12-17-2018 11:39 AM
JessicaDeNardo
New Contributor II

I have two images that I am trying to mosaic with MANY others. They just happen to have different bands and bit depths for some reason (prior to me receiving these).  The rasters I am trying mosaic them with are 8 bit signed, 1 band.  These have mosaicked successfully, thanks to these helpful tips Rasters added to Raster Dataset by Mosaic Tool Not Visible .  However I can't seem to get these last two to export from the Image Analysis window with the same bit depth and bands so I can mosaic them with the others.  They are 16 Bit Unsigned, 3 Bands.  First, I used the Copy Raster tool and took them down to 8 Bit Signed.  Then in the Image Analysis window, I used the Grayscale Function to take the band down to 1 on a copy.  But when I go to save it, it just says "Failed to save Raster dataset."  I have attached one of the problem rasters.  Any help is appreciated!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
SimonWoo
Esri Contributor

It appears that all 3 bands in your 3-band raster are the same, so we can use the Extract Bands function

1) Add L-11.tif to ArcMap

2) Open the Image Analyst window

3) In the Image Analyst window, highlight L-11.tif in the list

4) Click on the Add Function button (icon with Fx and a pencil).  This will open the Function Template Editor window.

5) In the Function Template Editor, right-click on Identify, point to Insert Function, and click on Extract Bands

6) In the Combination parameter, make sure that only 1 is typed in there (default is  1 2 3)

7) On the general tab, change the Output Pixel Type to 8 bit Unsigned. 

😎 Click OK to accept the parameters.  Then click OK to execute the function.  A new single band raster layer is in your Table of Contents.

9) Right-click on the newly made layer, right click it, point to Data, click on Export Data

10) Edit the location, name and file format of the output.

11) Change the NoData value to be blank.

12) Click Save

13) Click Yes to add your newly create raster dataset.

Let me know if that now creates a 1 band raster that is 8bit unsigned.  It worked when I followed the steps, hopefully it works for you as well.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
SimonWoo
Esri Contributor

It appears that all 3 bands in your 3-band raster are the same, so we can use the Extract Bands function

1) Add L-11.tif to ArcMap

2) Open the Image Analyst window

3) In the Image Analyst window, highlight L-11.tif in the list

4) Click on the Add Function button (icon with Fx and a pencil).  This will open the Function Template Editor window.

5) In the Function Template Editor, right-click on Identify, point to Insert Function, and click on Extract Bands

6) In the Combination parameter, make sure that only 1 is typed in there (default is  1 2 3)

7) On the general tab, change the Output Pixel Type to 8 bit Unsigned. 

😎 Click OK to accept the parameters.  Then click OK to execute the function.  A new single band raster layer is in your Table of Contents.

9) Right-click on the newly made layer, right click it, point to Data, click on Export Data

10) Edit the location, name and file format of the output.

11) Change the NoData value to be blank.

12) Click Save

13) Click Yes to add your newly create raster dataset.

Let me know if that now creates a 1 band raster that is 8bit unsigned.  It worked when I followed the steps, hopefully it works for you as well.