Drone2Map Maximum # images per project?

06-20-2020 10:53 AM
AbrahamFisher
New Contributor

Does Drone2Map have a limit on the number of images that can be processed in a single project, either a formal or just a practical limit?

I have some rather large projects that I would like to process into a single orthomosaic image - from 10,000 up to maybe around 20,000 images. The system I'm running this on has a lot of memory (128GB), and plenty of hard-drive space, but I'm wondering if the software is able to process that many images in a single project.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
JamesStewart-Moore1
New Contributor III

I also have the same question. Can @esri please provide an answer?

0 Kudos
CodyBenkelman
Esri Regular Contributor

Abraham, I apologize for the long delay - I did not see your original post.  For both you and James:

There is no formal limit, but yes there are practical limits.  For full processing (to create outputs such as orthomosaic, point cloud, etc.) I typically recommend a maximum of 2000 images, but this will depend on many issues - your processing hardware, as well as the individual image size in pixels, the amount of overlap, and the geography e.g. the content of your imagery (natural vs. man made terrain, presence of tall trees, etc.), terrain, etc.. 

System requirements are listed at https://doc.arcgis.com/en/drone2map/get-started/system-requirements.htm

For scaling up to larger projects, you have several options:

• If you have good overlap between images (~70% or greater) you can reduce memory used by reducing the targeted number of keypoints per image. (Default is 10,000) 
  • If you have ArcGIS Pro, you can to disable the outputs and create only the dynamic mosaic, then you can work with that (mosaic dataset) in ArcGIS Pro. 
  • If you need to generate the 2D outputs from Drone2Map (orthomosaic, DSM, DTM), you can use the “Manage” menu to disable merging of tiles. This will generate multiple tiles for the outputs but not merge them into a single large TIF file.  [See reference in Help here]   Drone2Map will reference the multiple tiles in a mosaic dataset that you can view by using the “Add Data” button (or if you have ArcGIS Pro you can create a mosaic dataset to combine the tiles).  Look in the project geodatabase for a mosaic dataset named "OrthomosaicTiles" (or "DSMTiles" or "DTMTiles" as appropriate)

• If these options don’t work, you may need to process your project in subsets.

Let us know your results. 

Cody B 

0 Kudos