Drone to stream video

02-16-2022 01:10 AM
Labels (2)
CatalinaEscudero22
New Contributor

Hi!!!

I would like to know how can I stream videos from Drones and consume it using Full Motion Video in ArcGIS Pro. I know that is available the option to posprocessing videos and load them in ArcGIS Pro  and Full Motion Video using geoprocessing Multiplexer, but I didn't found details about protocols and steps to configure rebroadcasting from Drone to FMV (directly or using ArcGIS Applications, such as, DoneToMap, SiteScan). 

I know since 2.9 ArcGIS Pro, 3 streaming protocol are supported by FMV (UDP, RSTP, HLS) and I would like to know which of these protocols are most recommended/used from drone streaming videos.  

Thanks in advance! 

Tags (2)
2 Replies
GordonSumerling
Esri Contributor

Hello Catalina,

So Motion Video in ArcGIS Pro does support Live Stream however it is dependant on your video source. 

To play a live video stream, you will need either the User Datagram Protocol (UDP) or Real Time Streaming Protocol (RTSP) address of the video stream from the drones. From what I have seen so far. Most commercial drones do not support this.

The full description of the live video stream support is found here

Cheers

Gordon

0 Kudos
CodyBenkelman
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Catalina

FMV already supports streaming video formats, as you noted and Gordon discussed.  I don't know if one is recommended over others but if you implement the capabilities noted below, we can seek further advice on the best protocol.

You're facing at least two challenges:

1) You’ll need some technology to stream your video into the internet (presuming you have a real time download - this may be an additional challenge – and note that the real time preview video on most drone controllers is very low resolution, not the same as the video saved to the drone SD card), and

2) insertion of geospatial metadata into the video stream.  You've found the geoprocessing tool called the "Video Multiplexer" which works on Pro with a local video file, so you’d need a way to replicate that functionality in real time.  Without the geospatial metadata, you can see your video in a window in FMV (ArcGIS with Image Analyst), but you won't have a footprint on the map or access to the FMV tools. 

We have been considering this Esri, and it is good to hear feedback from users.   We have two new capabilities under consideration, although not yet scheduled:

a) we are exploring the requirements to store, manage, and share video with a new server technology.  When that is available, if you can get your (low resolution preview) drone video onto the network, this server would accomplish the multiplexing of the required metadata re: camera location, orientation, field of view etc. and stream the video for exploitation in ArcGIS Pro.  You can see some information at https://esriurl.com/MediaServer

b) a separate capability is considered for Site Scan Flight (http://esriurl.com/SSEE) that could provide a solution to getting video onto the network for streaming.  It would include at least minimal geospatial metadata regarding camera location and orientation, enabling some basic features regarding sensor and target location (not all features of FMV).  If you or others have specific requests, please let us know at https://community.esri.com/t5/site-scan-flight-ideas/idb-p/site-scan-flight-ideas

0 Kudos