Can you use Site Scan on a drone with an attached screen?

Jump to solution
08-31-2021 01:57 PM
slcgis
by
New Contributor II

I'm pricing out a DJI Mavic 2 Pro drone and was wondering if I should get one without an attached screen to use with Site Scan.  I've previously used Pix4D for drone flight control on a Phantom 4, and we had to use a controller that connected to an iPad for that software to control the drone.

Does anyone know if you can connect an external device to a DJI controller that has a display attached?

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
David_Brooks
MVP Regular Contributor

@slcgis, I use site scan LE with my Mavic 2 Pro, and have to say, it's the best app out there. I have the screenless controller and run a usb from the controller base to an iPad, which works perfectly. However, my understanding is that when you connect additional devices to a DJI smart controller, they only act as a second screen. If so, you'd need to see about installing sitescan on the Android smart controller, but I'm not sure if this is supported.

your money is far better spent on a larger iPad which runs the superior iOS version of all DJI apps, which are always the first to be updated. Your iPad can also be used independently of the drone, and even used for editing your drone videos and photos.

David
..Maps with no limits..

View solution in original post

NicoBonnafoux
Esri Contributor

@slcgis , most DJI smart controllers, including the one for the Mavic 2 Pro, do not support the use of an external device which means that Site Scan Flight cannot be used. 
The only exceptions are the DJI Matrice series (M200, M210, M210RTK, v1 & v2, and soon M300RTK) smart controllers which do allow connecting an iPad. 

The Mavic 2 Pro is a good entry-level drone, but for a minor price different, the Phantom 4 Pro produces higher quality and accuracy outputs thanks to its mechanical shutter camera. 

Thanks for your kind comment @David_Brooks, I passed it along to the Site Scan dev team! 

View solution in original post

3 Replies
David_Brooks
MVP Regular Contributor

@slcgis, I use site scan LE with my Mavic 2 Pro, and have to say, it's the best app out there. I have the screenless controller and run a usb from the controller base to an iPad, which works perfectly. However, my understanding is that when you connect additional devices to a DJI smart controller, they only act as a second screen. If so, you'd need to see about installing sitescan on the Android smart controller, but I'm not sure if this is supported.

your money is far better spent on a larger iPad which runs the superior iOS version of all DJI apps, which are always the first to be updated. Your iPad can also be used independently of the drone, and even used for editing your drone videos and photos.

David
..Maps with no limits..
NicoBonnafoux
Esri Contributor

@slcgis , most DJI smart controllers, including the one for the Mavic 2 Pro, do not support the use of an external device which means that Site Scan Flight cannot be used. 
The only exceptions are the DJI Matrice series (M200, M210, M210RTK, v1 & v2, and soon M300RTK) smart controllers which do allow connecting an iPad. 

The Mavic 2 Pro is a good entry-level drone, but for a minor price different, the Phantom 4 Pro produces higher quality and accuracy outputs thanks to its mechanical shutter camera. 

Thanks for your kind comment @David_Brooks, I passed it along to the Site Scan dev team! 

slcgis
by
New Contributor II

Thanks for the responses.  This is all very helpful.

0 Kudos