Bathymetry using optical remote sensing

Jump to solution
06-28-2021 10:28 AM
Steena
by
New Contributor II

I want to find out the depth of sea bed near the coast using optical imagery. I only have the locations for which I have to find out the depth. Can anyone please  tell about  the procedure of obtaining the depth using Sentinel 2 optical images?

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
graharg_TCarta
New Contributor II

Thanks for reaching out on the esri community page.  Have you already visually inspected the Senitinel-2 images?  Is the water clarity good enough to make out features underwater?  Do you have any known depth locations within the AOI?  If the clarity is good and have known depths then you use empirical method comparing index of log ratio of blue band/ green band color at known locations.

the UKHO and NOAA have many old nautical charts available to gather some soundings in your AOI.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
graharg_TCarta
New Contributor II

Thanks for reaching out on the esri community page.  Have you already visually inspected the Senitinel-2 images?  Is the water clarity good enough to make out features underwater?  Do you have any known depth locations within the AOI?  If the clarity is good and have known depths then you use empirical method comparing index of log ratio of blue band/ green band color at known locations.

the UKHO and NOAA have many old nautical charts available to gather some soundings in your AOI.

Steena
by
New Contributor II

Thankyou !