ArcGIS Pro 2.8.2: Why the photogrammetry project is referred as “Ortho Mapping” in Pro?

10-08-2021 01:08 AM
JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor

ArcGIS Pro 2.8.2: Why the photogrammetry project is referred as “Ortho Mapping” in Pro?

In my perspective, it would be more appropriate to refer to “Ortho Mapping” as Photogrammetry which is applied in order to extract 3 main outputs:

• Feature extraction from 3D Stereo digitizing
  • Orthophoto
  • Contours (DEM)

So the term ortho refers to only one output that gets the aerial photo combined in order to get their content with same scale and georeferenced

Clip_988.jpgClip_989.jpg

----------------------------------------
Jamal Numan
Geomolg Geoportal for Spatial Information
Ramallah, West Bank, Palestine
0 Kudos
5 Replies
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

@CodyBenkelman could perhaps provide more distinction than is already provided here

Introduction to ortho mapping—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

... sort of retired...
JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor

But the term “photogrammetry” remains more accurate to describe the whole process!

----------------------------------------
Jamal Numan
Geomolg Geoportal for Spatial Information
Ramallah, West Bank, Palestine
0 Kudos
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

one is a discipline, the other is an activity within the discipline

... sort of retired...
CodyBenkelman
Esri Regular Contributor

Jamal

Thanks, we appreciate your comments.  There are so many capabilities within ArcGIS Pro plus its extensions, it can be difficult to give ideal names to all of them.  We have many debates within Esri about what names to use for functions, tools, properties, and software products - there are always competing opinions, and usually good reasoning on both sides of every discussion. 

This is just my personal opinion, but I feel proper naming is more important with individual tools/properties/etc. than the names for high level capabilities - but again we don't always make perfect decisions. Even when names/labels are not perfect, we find it creates unnecessary confusion if we change the names that people have become familiar with.  

Perhaps "ebay" is not the best name for an online buying/selling platform, but once users become familiar with it, even a strange name can work well.

Cody 

tim_mcmillan
New Contributor

I think "Ortho Mapping" might mislead one to think this is just an ortho production package.  Many photogrammetry software companies break up their software into many modules - triangulation, stereo collection, and ortho production being the three main parts.  Since Image Analyst has all of these modules it seems to me it would be better to emphasize that - it is a huge selling point that these are all included.  I personally would like to see it named "Photogrammetry Analyst" - or something like that.  Just my two cents.