AGP v2.6 - sharing Layer (LYRX) files as Image Services to Portal

Jump to solution
10-02-2020 12:25 AM
cpmgisuser
New Contributor III
Since the launch of ArcGIS Pro v2.6 you can now overwrite existing web imagery layers.
Have tried this successfully with a "Derived" Master Mosaic Dataset in AGP v2.6.
When managing image services using ArcCatalog v10.6.1 one of our team opened the derived Master MD and in the MD Properties dialog added a query removing one of the named MDs in the dataset.
This was saved as a Layer (LYR) file and published using ArcCatalog as an image service.
Datasource as shown in Server Manager looks like this:
Data Source:
E:\arcgisserver\directories\arcgissyst...extracted\v101\Current Imagery.lyr
This particular Image Service is fully cached, both Imaging and WMS with Name: IMG_LatestImagery
This LYR file has also been saved as a LYRX file and works fine in AGP under Map Contents and in Catalog Pane folders.
After installing v2.6 I tried right clicking on the ToC in a map on this layer and it contains "Overwrite Web Layer". When opened a dialog appears asking for the Web Layer to Overwrite but when the Imagery folder on Portal is selected only "Map Image Layer" Type is available (which kind of makes sense) NOT Type "Imagery Layer"?
There are no options in the Catalog Pane to Overwrite using the LYRX file.
So, unless we use ArcCatalog this functionality is not an option in AGP v2.6?
If this is so then as we use AGP more I will need to use a different workflow to publish our derived Master MD querying out one of the datasets, correct?
Can someone suggest a workflow for this please?
My thoughts are to create a Reference MD of our Derived Master MD and publish that using a function to remove the dataset? The aim being that we only have to manage one derived Master MD and when modified that will reflect the changes through to the Referenced Master MD.
I do this with an "Elevation Master Mosaic Dataset" but have only added Contour and Hillshade functions to the Referenced MDs and not a removal query that the LYRX allows.
Have run this by Esri AU Support but thought GeoNet might be a good resource?
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
cpmgisuser
New Contributor III

Answered this myself in my original post!

Esri AU support confirmed it see below:

Sent:Monday, October 5, 2020 10:26 AM
To:Chris Brown <Chris.Brown@citicpacificmining.com>; smiles@esriaustralia.com.au <smiles@esriaustralia.com.au>
Subject:Esri Case #02649134 - AGP v2.6 - sharing Layer (LYRX) files as Image Services to Portal

Hello Chris,

This is Hamish from Esri Australia Technical Support. In regards to your inquiry, I can confirm a couple of the behaviors that you are experiencing. Firstly, when using image services you are not able to publish these any longer from layer files within ArcGIS Pro. The idea behind this is to use raster functions to perform this work as it is more flexible. So as you mentioned you will need to use a new workflow for doing this process.

In regards to this process, as you mentioned using a referenced mosaic dateset is the preferred method for what you are trying to accomplish. As you can see in the documentation here this is one of the main functions of referenced mosaic datasets. When you are creating the referenced mosaic dataset, you are able to apply an expression to filter the original mosaic dataset to a smaller subset of data and then publish this as an image service.

Image_2020-10-05_10-25-02.png

Please let me know if this resolves your issue, and if you have any further questions. I look forward to hearing back from you.

Thank you,
Hamish
Esri Australia
T 1800 447 111 | https://esriaustralia.com.au/support-technical

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
cpmgisuser
New Contributor III

Answered this myself in my original post!

Esri AU support confirmed it see below:

Sent:Monday, October 5, 2020 10:26 AM
To:Chris Brown <Chris.Brown@citicpacificmining.com>; smiles@esriaustralia.com.au <smiles@esriaustralia.com.au>
Subject:Esri Case #02649134 - AGP v2.6 - sharing Layer (LYRX) files as Image Services to Portal

Hello Chris,

This is Hamish from Esri Australia Technical Support. In regards to your inquiry, I can confirm a couple of the behaviors that you are experiencing. Firstly, when using image services you are not able to publish these any longer from layer files within ArcGIS Pro. The idea behind this is to use raster functions to perform this work as it is more flexible. So as you mentioned you will need to use a new workflow for doing this process.

In regards to this process, as you mentioned using a referenced mosaic dateset is the preferred method for what you are trying to accomplish. As you can see in the documentation here this is one of the main functions of referenced mosaic datasets. When you are creating the referenced mosaic dataset, you are able to apply an expression to filter the original mosaic dataset to a smaller subset of data and then publish this as an image service.

Image_2020-10-05_10-25-02.png

Please let me know if this resolves your issue, and if you have any further questions. I look forward to hearing back from you.

Thank you,
Hamish
Esri Australia
T 1800 447 111 | https://esriaustralia.com.au/support-technical
0 Kudos