sid to geoTiff tiles

11-05-2014 10:20 PM
forestknutsen1
MVP Regular Contributor

I have two sid files, around 25GB, that I need to process. I need in the end geoTiff tiles (1GB in size would be fine) of a sub area defined by a polygon. And I need to preserve the data quality.

I have tried extract by mask, thinking that I could cut the sid down with the polygon to make the file size smaller, but it did not make an output after an hour of running even with a relatively small polygon mask.

Next I looked at LizardTech's tools here:

http://www.lizardtech.com/downloads/category/#tools__utilities

I ran the command "mrsidgeodecode -wf -i input.sid -o output.tiff" on a 1GB sid, I downloaded for testing, and it failed.

What is the best way to do this?

0 Kudos
17 Replies
forestknutsen1
MVP Regular Contributor

No I can not as the image is not for the public. However I have solved the problem. Wrong pyramid build, lol.

Thanks for the help Jake

0 Kudos
TippinWilson
Deactivated User

I am also having a similar issue. I have got a direct dump of imagery here on Fort Hood, however, they have given it to me in SID file's. For the life of me I cannot get the imagery to raster out to where I can see the imagery on Arcmap with my system. No where in the schoolbooks that I have do they tell me a certain tool to resolve this issue or anything either. Any help would be fantastic. I have tried searching for that mrsid tool, and it is nowhere to be found.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus
0 Kudos
Luke_Pinner
MVP Regular Contributor

ArcGIS can read MrSID rasters natively, no extra software required (MrSID Gen 4. as of  ArcGIS 10.1)

Have you tried adding them to ArcMap? What happens?

What version of ArcGIS are you using?

0 Kudos
TippinWilson
Deactivated User

When I try to add the data, it won't even pull the imagery into the data viewer at all, it simply says "imagery does not have correct raster" or something along those lines. So I've been trying all of the rostering tools but I can not get the imagery to raster over.

Sent from my iPhone

0 Kudos
CodyBenkelman
Esri Regular Contributor

It sounds like either your SID files are corrupted, or else there is something wrong with your installation of ArcGIS.  I'm uploading a small MrSID file - try loading that into ArcMap and let us know if it works.  If you have a colleague running ArcGIS, try your SID files on his/her system.

0 Kudos
TippinWilson
Deactivated User

Unfortunately I don't. It's just me and our system with my unit. But I'll try it. Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone

0 Kudos
TippinWilson
Deactivated User

So your SID file projected just fine, no rastering or exporting needed at all. Just a simple drag and drop. Not sure what's up with these files. Ill contact the office that gave them to me, I appreciate it.

0 Kudos