Select to view content in your preferred language

.jp2 file shows up as all black in ArcGIS

Jump to solution
08-28-2014 03:16 PM
JasonFultz
New Contributor III

Hi all,

I have a series of 6 DEM files that are in .JP2 format.  In fact, they are the SRTM Shaded relief that was downloaded via the ESRI CD that came with our software several years ago.  When I add the .jp2 files to any MXD, some show up as all black while others show up fine.  I have tried  adjusting the symbology and calculated statistics on the blacked out files o match the files that are displaying correctly, all with no luck.  Several others have tried opening these files and get the same result.  However, when I add the file to Global Mapper, they all work fine; so I know the data is still contained in the .JP2 file.  Any ideas on how to get these files to cooperate with ArcGIS?  I'm running ArcGIS for Desktop Advanced 10.2.  Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks,

Jason

Capture.JPG

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JasonFultz
New Contributor III

Hi Jake,  I gave that a try and no luck. The raster was still appearing as all black.  However, since my original post I found that if I Export the raster it would take care of the problem.  Thanks for the reply!

Jason

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
JakeSkinner
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Jason,

In ArcMap, go to Windows > Image Analysis.  You can use this window to quickly change the stretch, transparency, and perform on-the-fly processing.

In the Image Analysis window, check the box DRA and set the stretch type to Standard Deviations.  Is the image still appearing as all black?

Would you be able to zip and upload one of the .JP2s?

0 Kudos
JasonFultz
New Contributor III

Hi Jake,  I gave that a try and no luck. The raster was still appearing as all black.  However, since my original post I found that if I Export the raster it would take care of the problem.  Thanks for the reply!

Jason

0 Kudos