Select to view content in your preferred language

Feature extraction from LiDAR and derived rasters

Jump to solution
06-21-2016 05:13 AM
Labels (1)
RobertFord1
Occasional Contributor

Good morning all!

I am trying to obtain heights of man made structures and also update / create building footprints using LiDAR and the rasters I have created from them. I have gone through the this tutorial that explains how to create a DSM and DEM from LiDAR data (so I now have a DSM and DEM) and also this tutorial that explains how to get heights of trees (I just used the minus tool for the entire area and have heights for the entire area).

The issues I am running into for heights are the outliers in the LiDAR data. I have tried using the Locate Outliers tool, but it just keeps failing saying it can't locate my output table. These outliers skew data greatly when it comes to calculating average heights for buildings (I tested it on an existing polygon). I would like to reclassify these outliers as noise somehow if possible.

As for feature extraction, I really am a new guy when it comes to intense LiDAR analysis in ArcGIS and just am not sure where to begin. I know there are all kinds of paid for 3rd party extensions for LiDAR that include feature extraction, but alas we do not have the budget for such things....

Any help is much appreciated!

Rob

20 Replies
ArthurCrawford
Esri Contributor

Hello Leo,

You can use Zonal Statistics as Table with the building footprints and a NDVI, then join it to your buildings.   You can then select based on size and NDVI to help automatically remove trees identified as trees.

Arthur Crawford - Esri Content Product Engineer