Select to view content in your preferred language

Easy way to remove collars from GeoTIFF of USGS Topo?

10-28-2017 02:18 PM
SeanWineland
New Contributor

I have downloaded a lot of GeoTiffs of historical topo maps from the USGS (https://ngmdb.usgs.gov/topoview) at the 1:24000 scale. I am wanting to Mosaic these together to eventually clip to watershed boundaries, however the white collars on the outside are proving to be a headache. I have not been able to find a solid answer on these forums or anywhere else on the internet of how exactly to remove the collars. 

Does anyone have an answer?

Any help would be appreciated!

0 Kudos
22 Replies
XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Sure you can, just calculate the percentage covered by by the mining polygons for each watershed. If you add a field to your watersheds that contains the area of the watershed (not the system maintained Shape_Area) you can intersect the two layers and summarize on the watershed name or id and sum the resulting Shape_Area of the intersections and take the Min, Max or Mean of the field with the area with watersheds and divide the summed area of mining polygons by the total area of the watershed to get the percentage.

0 Kudos
CodyBenkelman
Esri Regular Contributor

Sean 

My expectation regarding identifying the mining areas is that you're going to need to digitize manually (as Dan suggests), but it IS possible that you MIGHT have luck with our segmentation tools to train it to find the appropriate symbology ("texture") - although best case I think you'll still have manual cleanup to do, and that may take just as long as manual tracing of the mining regions.    I don't believe you'll have any luck with standard classification tools which focus on spectral content, not texture.  (could you upload a screenshot of one of the areas showing "mining" and "non mining" so we can advise further?)

However, I want to redirect you with regard to the mosaicking.  Please read about the mosaic dataset.  You do not need to convert from SID to TIFF, and you should be able to create mosaics in minutes, not days.  (they may not be perfect in the first 5 minutes, e.g. you will still have the collars to deal with, but if you can define a table of the easting & northing or lat/long of the collar on each file, that can be imported into the mosaic dataset to clip and hide the collar).  This will be a "dynamic" mosaic you can use in ArcGIS to test the segmentation or manual digitizing.  

Cody B

EmmanuelDuchene
New Contributor II

Haven't tried it myself but what about importing all desired geotifs on a basemap. Create as many polygons (feature classes) as your geotifs, matching the area of each tif you want to keep and reexport them using the polygons as clipping feature? Then you will have all tifs without collars and only have to use the mosaic to raster tool.

0 Kudos