Select to view content in your preferred language

Can you clip a MrSID file in arcmap?

Jump to solution
01-10-2019 08:08 AM
BrandonPrice1
Occasional Contributor

I am tried to clip the MrSid image highlighted in the table of contents using the export data option and the clip (data management) tool and neither work. The export data option is not there when you right click on the sid layer in the table of contents and the sid layer does not even show up in the clip tool as a potential layer to clip. Can someone please advise? Thanks.

GIS

ArcGIS Pro

0 Kudos
15 Replies
BrandonPrice1
Occasional Contributor

I am unable to export out the sid file to another format. Is there something I am missing? I was able to clip the sid (post fire) and ecw (pre fire) imagery layers to a portion of the footprint "eGIS_Infrastructure_Building_Footprint_2" layer to do further analysis on variations between the two. I was going to run the zonal statistics as table tool to see if I found major variations between the two that might suggest something was burned although I cannot do this with the sid.

0 Kudos
CodyBenkelman
Esri Regular Contributor

Brandon

I'm asking our support people for help on this.  I don't understand why you're not seeing the "Data" option in the menu. 

What version of ArcMap do you have, and what License level?

This help topic Exporting a raster in ArcMap—Help | ArcGIS Desktop says:

In the ArcMap table of contents, right-click the raster dataset you want to export, click Data, then click Export Data.

...and I've tried it and it works with *.sid files.  Do you have a *tif or another format file you could try, and let us know if the menu changes?

The CopyRaster GP tool says it's available at all license levels, including Basic:  

Copy Raster—Data Management toolbox | ArcGIS Desktop  at bottom says:

Licensing information

• ArcGIS Desktop Basic: Yes
  • ArcGIS Desktop Standard: Yes
  • ArcGIS Desktop Advanced: Yes
BrandonPrice1
Occasional Contributor

I opened the same sid file in another mxd and was able to export and run geopressing. Not sure what was wrong.

0 Kudos
CodyBenkelman
Esri Regular Contributor

Dan

no, this is correct.  We're only reading the *.sid file.  If he clips and exports, he'll have to save the clipped raster as some other format.  But (presuming one file) that's faster and easier than running CopyRaster for the entire file first, which I believe is what he ended up doing.

Cody 

MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Do you need additional licensing from LizardTech to use SID images in AGS Image Services?

0 Kudos
CodyBenkelman
Esri Regular Contributor

Michael

short answer, no.

This was an error on my part - my apologies.  I was thinking "wavelet compressed images" and mixed up *.ecw format and *.sid format.  My comments were correct if we were discussing *.ecw, but NOT for *.sid.  There is no restriction or problem with serving *.sid files, but *.ecw files cannot be shared through ArcGIS Image Server without an additional license from Hexagon.

I'm going to edit and delete my erroneous comments from above, hoping to avoid confusing anyone.

Cody B.