Processing Themal Imagery in Drone2Map

08-14-2020 11:47 AM
EduardoVasquez2
New Contributor II
487/5000

Currently Drone2Map processes the images from thermal sensors, however, the generated orthomosaic is not calibrated, that is, the raster does not present the pixel value in degrees centigrade (or Kelvin) but is an 8-bit image (0- 255). It would be very good if it could incorporate a processing template that allows obtaining the radiometrically calibrated image in degrees, in a similar way to how the Pix4D Mapper does using the Index Calculator.
6 Comments
AnthonyMason
Status changed to: In Product Plan

This feature has been added for the next release

JPDeboos

Good news!

CodyBenkelman
Status changed to: Implemented

This has been implemented in the latest release of Drone2Map, version 2022.1 - available in either the Standard or Advanced license.

One note of caution:  Drone2Map can now display the apparent temperature in Celsius or Fahrenheit, but be aware that the emissivity of the surface can still cause these temperature values to be incorrect.  See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emissivity 

For similar features across a project site, the relative temperature measurements should be reliable, but comparing temperatures of concrete vs. metal vs. vegetation will be less accurate due to their different emissivity values.

Cody B. 

BenjaminHaske

Hi  @CodyBenkelman,

thank you for the implementation. We waited for years for a feature like that to really process our thermal data instead of just creating uncalibrated orthophotes.

I tried it with thermal infrared images from our DJI Mavic 2 Enterprise Advanced but I cannot make it work properly. Can you tells us what paramters to use, since there is no thermal template (yet)?

DanielGao

I also have DJI M2EA thermal images, and tried to use the Thermal Template in Drone2Map 2023.1, but it doesn't like the image format. Everytime I added the images and Thermal Template disappears. When I tried to add the images individually with Thermal Template, it say the image format is invalid. Has this issue been known to others? What's the solution?

Thanks!

MarkBarker1

Hi @DanielGao,

Are you willing to share some of the images? The camera you mention should be supported so I would like to get an idea of the issue first hand and potentially reproduce it on my end. You can email me directly and we can setup a shared folder if needed, mbarker@esri.com

Regards,

Mark