Adding functions to Rasters in model builder

10-15-2012 12:50 PM
ArthurCrawford
Esri Contributor
I suggest to add the ability to apply raster functions to a raster in ModelBuilder. The tool could just have the ability to apply a function chain to a raster.   An example would be to apply NDVI to NAIP imagery, then a Remap of the NDVI and export it to extract vegetation.     You can do this in ArcMap with the Spatial Analyst toolbox by multiple tools, but I think the process would work much faster as functions applied to a raster.  
Tags (1)
3 Comments
JasonThomas1

I'm looking to do the same exact thing. I have a bunch of big NAIP DOQQ files that I want to use the Band Arithmetic function on (to get NDVI as a 1 to -1 value). I want to do it iteratively in model builder but can't find a way to drop a raster function into model builder like you can do with any of the tools in toolbox.

JanMajcher

Would be very helpful indeed. Still waiting for this improvement. I need multidirectional hillshade function employed in a modelbuilder chain and its impossible for now. 

ArthurCrawford01

Solved:   You can use the Generate Raster from Raster Function tool to do this.   It's a little tricky.   Create an rft with your raster functions chain and save it out after changing the input to a default raster and make it public.    

ArthurCrawford01_0-1630518963544.png

Add the Generate Raster from Raster Function tool to Model Builder and add your rft.   Then you need to change the Raster in the Raster Function Arguments to Value to the raster in your model.

ArthurCrawford01_1-1630519126975.pngArthurCrawford01_2-1630519170055.png

The function chain I used (for finding tree tops using a negated CHM as sinks would be the tops of trees):

ArthurCrawford01_0-1630519679491.png

Using the raster functions instead of the traditional method cause the processing to run about 4x faster as there is no intermediate files.   Instead of TIF output, outputing to CRF will also speed up processing for intermediate files.