Portal HA issue

12-07-2017 04:51 PM
DanMallett
Esri Contributor

I’m completely stumped with an issue concerning a High Availability deployment of Portal 10.5.1 on Windows Server 2016.

I'm following these steps http://server.arcgis.com/en/portal/latest/administer/windows/configuring-a-highly-available-portal.h... and after completing step 3 the Portal becomes unresponsive (home page won’t load, can’t log in to portaladmin, etc) and I’ll see the following error in the logs:

SEVERE

The portal has been initialized and configured but is not accessible. The internal portal database does not appear to be running or accepting connections. Restart the portal machine or machines and if the problem persists, contact Esri technical support (U.S.) or your distributor (customers outside the U.S.).

I have tried all kinds of things (including contacting support, different file servers, firewall is disabled, re-installing, patches, setting permissions to be as liberal as possible).  Note that the Portal works perfectly fine on a single machine, it is only after the join in Step 3 that these symptoms develop.

The issue I'm having seems to be similar to these posts but no solution is really made obvious in these:

https://community.esri.com/message/719338-arcgis-portal-issue 

portal HA 10.5 issue 

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

0 Kudos
3 Replies
DanMallett
Esri Contributor

Don't have a solution yet but the problem seems to be related to an inability for the Windows service to shutdown all the Portal processes correctly, especially the "java" and "javaw".

0 Kudos
RhondaFetters
New Contributor

Did you ever solve this issue?  We have the same problem. Same version of Portal and OS.

0 Kudos
JonathanQuinn
Esri Notable Contributor

The portal machines at 10.6 and earlier have a bigger chance of becoming out of sync, depending on how the machines are restarted, due to the architecture at those releases. There are a couple of files that determine which is primary and standby, and if both machines think they are primary, you'll run into a problem. The quickest fix is to contact Technical Support so they can go through the setup and make sure each file contains the correct information.

Also, consider upgrading to at least 10.6.1, as that version has improvements to make failover faster and more reliable.

0 Kudos