Orphaned ArcSOC.exe processes from printing tool

09-27-2019 08:21 AM
StephanieRinguet2
New Contributor III

Hello,

We keep having orphaned ArcSOC.exe processes piling up on our server. They are all services from the Printing Utility service. We use the ArcGIS Server printing tool (not a custom one) and is set to recycle every 24 hours, but it does not appear to work because we find weeks old ArcSOC.exe processes still running. Pooling is set to 0 (minimum instances) and 2 (max instances). Only way to get rid of them is to kill them manually or reboot the server (which we do monthly). I just ended 49 orphaned ArcSOC processes and the memory on the server went from 90% to 65%. It is obviously not sustainable to keep monitoring this and addressing this manually. This has been going on for weeks but only finding the time to inquire about this now. Can someone please let me know how to fix this?

Thank you!

0 Kudos
14 Replies
JonathanQuinn
Esri Notable Contributor

How are you identifying them as the Publishing Tools service? Did you scrub out the command line column for security reasons? The command line column will have a -Dservice parameter that associates the SOC process with the service name:

20190927000011.528837-420  ArcSOC.exe  16376 "C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\Server\bin\ArcSOC.exe" -XX:-CreateMinidumpOnCrash -Xmx64M -XX:+UseParallelGC -Dservice=System.PublishingTools.GPServerSync....

In your screenshot, I don't see the command line information.

0 Kudos
StephanieRinguet2
New Contributor III

I am not sure why but the commandline in Command Prompt does not get populated. However, when I look at processes in Task Manager using PID to cross-reference, I can see that all hung up processes are tied to the Printing Tools service. 

0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

You should also be able to display the Command line column in Task Manager as well as the PID.  I believe PID is a column that is visible by default, but Command line is not.  Here is a screenshot of Command line in the Details pane of Task Manager.  Right click anywhere on the column names and click on Select columns to change the display of columns available for you to evaluate:

0 Kudos
StephanieRinguet2
New Contributor III

Do you suggest I contact ESRI Technical Support for this issue?

0 Kudos
StephanieRinguet2
New Contributor III

Yes thank you that is what I was saying. That I could see the Commandline in Task Manager and I can see that all orphaned services are tied with Printing Tools.

0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

What version of ArcGIS Server are you using?

Where exactly do you use this printing service (e.g. AGOL web apps, custom apps, both, other)?

Have you tried creating your own vanilla printing service and see if that helps with the orphan processes?

0 Kudos
StephanieRinguet2
New Contributor III

We are currently on ArcGIS Server 10.6.1. We are planning an upgrade to 10.7.1 in late October.

This printing service is used in we apps hosted in our Production Portal. We observed the same behavior in our Staging/Test Portal. We have had issues in the past with our custom printing service so we reverted back to the default Server printing utility tools. What I am puzzled with is the fact that the printing services don't get "recycled", that they keep piling up, which quickly take a toll on the server. Only way to get rid of them is to kill them manually or reboot the server

0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Do you have the ability to test this print service outside of your portal to see if it's the portal that is causing the issue?  I ask because I don't have these orphan print services, but my org has not yet set up portal.

0 Kudos
StephanieRinguet2
New Contributor III

What do you mean exactly by testing this outside of portal?

0 Kudos