Is it possible to disable map export from a map service?

04-24-2018 07:36 AM
MarlaJohnson
New Contributor III

Is it possible to disable map export from a map service?

0 Kudos
10 Replies
VinceAngelo
Esri Esteemed Contributor

You mean, besides stopping the service?  Please provide more detail on what you are trying to accomplish.

- V

0 Kudos
MarlaJohnson
New Contributor III

I would like the Export Map Option to not be available 

0 Kudos
JonathanQuinn
Esri Notable Contributor

The main purpose of a map service is to render images of your data, so you somewhat defeat the purpose of the map service, but you can disable it from Manager:

Note that this causes the service to return a 500 at the root endpoint of the service, (https://server.domain.com:6443/arcgis/rest/services/SampleWorldCities/MapServer), but all other endpoints are accessible. I would still reassess the need to turn it off, though.

MarlaJohnson
New Contributor III

Yeah that will not work. Basically, we use the service in an application and AGOL and someone is trying to export the data which is crashing everything. There is also a lot of ArcSoc.exe issues going on. 

0 Kudos
JonathanQuinn
Esri Notable Contributor

What do you mean by "export the data"? The Export Map operation returns an image, not the actual data to download. If this operation is taking too long or is too CPU intensive, (lots of data, complex features and symbology, etc), then you may need to cache the data. This pre-renders the images on disk so they are returned rapidly, (again, as images, so the underlying data can't be downloaded).

What do you mean by "crashing everything"? Do you physically see the SOC process crash and create a crash dump on your machine? Do you run out of CPU or RAM? If things are just getting very slow because the service is using too much CPU, then again, caching will help that. If this data changes rapidly, then that may not be an option and you'll need to look into potentially throttling access to the service through a proxy, (search rate limiting).

MarlaJohnson
New Contributor III

I don't mean "export".  Just returning the Image. It is only one service causing the problem and we know this because there is a crash dump fine that indicates the one service is having an ArcSoc.exe issue.   The RAM is running at about 72% but is going to be increased to see if that helps the issue. 

0 Kudos
JonathanQuinn
Esri Notable Contributor

I'd set the logs to DEBUG and then see what's happening right before the crash, (for example, data access, symbolizing, etc). You can also upload the crash dump here so I can try to take a look or contact Support and have them troubleshoot with you. I don't think turning off Export Map is the solution as that will cause issues in any application expecting to get images from the service. Ideally, you'd identify what's causing the service to crash. 

0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

How many layers do you have in your mapservice?  Do you have scale dependencies set on layers so not too many features need to be rendered?

0 Kudos
MarlaJohnson
New Contributor III

The RAM was increased and it seems to be working for now. Below is the last error message from the dump file two days ago.   

0 Kudos