Does increasing the maximum number of instances allowed in the ArcGIS for Server (version 10.5.1 or higher) from something like 5 to 10 (I know going from 5 to 100 might be an issue) cause any significant slowing of performance?

02-05-2020 12:52 PM
JohnPavek
New Contributor II

Thank you for any assistance you can provide

0 Kudos
3 Replies
JohnPavek
New Contributor II

Added info...the server is a virtual server with the following characteristics:

Maximum speed...2.69 GHz

Sockets...1

Virtual processers...32

Utilization peaks in the morning to around 25%-30% but rides most of the day around 2%-4%

Memory is holding at 33% usage (21.2 used out of 64 GB)

Thanks anybody for what info you can give because I do have a service that is using 5 of the 5 instances allowed.  Because it is taking 60.2 seconds to get something at times I'm having an occasional timeout issue.  I know I can increase the one pooling parameter higher than 60 to help but I want to see if increasing the instances will cause slower performance esp going from something small like 5 to 10

0 Kudos
BenTurrell
Occasional Contributor III

Hey John Pavek‌,

You certainly can increase the number of instances for that web service. I would recommend increasing to 10 first and then look at increasing the timeout. One thing to note is that each running instance uses approx 130mb of RAM. So increasing by 5 more instances shouldn't have much of an impact on your memory usage since you have 64GB of memory.

There is a really good resource on ArcGIS SOCs/instances it shows the difference between the new pooled instances in 10.7 but it does still have a good overview of the old way of managing socs: Introducing shared instances in ArcGIS Server 10.7 

Thanks,

Ben

If this answer has helpful please mark it as helpful. If this answer solved your question please mark it as the answer to help others who have the same question.

JohnPavek
New Contributor II

Thank you very much Ben for your info!

0 Kudos