Privateportalurl value is different between Portal and Server

04-20-2022 10:09 AM
brumm1dj
New Contributor II

10.8.1 HA Enterprise (2 Portals, 2 Servers(federated), 2 Datastores, 2 Web Adaptors, AWS) 

1. Portal system properties:   privateportalurl = https://LB:7443/arcgis
  2. Server security properties: privateportalurl = https://<machinename:7443/arcgis

I am able to successfully edit the Server security properties page and change the privateportalurl to match my Portal properties. However, the Server privateportalurl value always changes back to one of my two Portal Machines names.   Why does that happen??

0 Kudos
7 Replies
DEWright_CA
Occasional Contributor III

It should be pointing to which ever is the "Active" node.

0 Kudos
brumm1dj
New Contributor II

By "Active" do you mean Primary Portal?

0 Kudos
DEWright_CA
Yes, the HA has a Active node and Passive/Stand-By.
0 Kudos
brumm1dj
New Contributor II

Ok, I am following.  Currently my server properties privateportalurl is pointing at my standby Portal machine. I did not manually set this value it picked it on its own. 

Do you have any insight into how that value gets set? It seems like it would make a big difference if it were pointed at my standby vs my primary portal machine but the system seems to be running just fine. I can't find any documentation that explains this very well. 

0 Kudos
DEWright_CA
No, I have seen some different settings flip myself in my HA configurations
and it has caused some concern in the past; but as you said things appear to
function ok.
brumm1dj
New Contributor II

Thank you for taking the time. I wish I understood why this software does what it does a little better.  Its stuff like this when you try and troubleshoot a problem that drives me crazy.  

ChristopherPawlyszyn
Esri Contributor

The two values should match between the Portal's System Properties and the federated ArcGIS Server site's Security Configuration. The most common cause that I've seen is not using the proper casing when setting the privatePortalURL in Portal's System Properties. If you can confirm that key is set exactly as I've written it, a support case may be helpful to dive in further on your particular configuration.

-- Chris Pawlyszyn