Select to view content in your preferred language

Orphaned ArcSOC.exe processes from printing tool

09-27-2019 08:21 AM
StephanieRinguet2
New Contributor III

Hello,

We keep having orphaned ArcSOC.exe processes piling up on our server. They are all services from the Printing Utility service. We use the ArcGIS Server printing tool (not a custom one) and is set to recycle every 24 hours, but it does not appear to work because we find weeks old ArcSOC.exe processes still running. Pooling is set to 0 (minimum instances) and 2 (max instances). Only way to get rid of them is to kill them manually or reboot the server (which we do monthly). I just ended 49 orphaned ArcSOC processes and the memory on the server went from 90% to 65%. It is obviously not sustainable to keep monitoring this and addressing this manually. This has been going on for weeks but only finding the time to inquire about this now. Can someone please let me know how to fix this?

Thank you!

0 Kudos
14 Replies
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

The print service I have is only used in standalone web apps that are not connected to a portal (either AGOL or organization portal) and I have no orphan printing process issues.  Maybe you could look for some simple sample HTML5/javascript web apps that ESRI provides to test to see if the print service generates the orphan processes when used in those web apps that are not associated with a portal.  This is only a hypothesis and something to test, but it might be best just to contact tech support at this point.

0 Kudos
StephanieRinguet2
New Contributor III

I just opened a case with Technical Support

0 Kudos
Steve_SchunzelAtTacoma
New Contributor III

Did you ever find an acceptable solution with Tech Support?  We are having the exact same issue.  We are running a stand alone Server 10.8.1 and have installed all patches.  Our current workaround is just to schedule a restart every evening, but our server admins aren't a big fan of this.

Steve Schunzel, GISP
Enterprise GIS Technical Lead
City of Tacoma | Information Technology
0 Kudos
AndresCastillo
MVP Regular Contributor
0 Kudos
nhetrick
New Contributor

There is a patch for this for 10.8.1 and 10.9 it is officially fixed in 10.9.1. Thanks to log4j bug we discovered this.   https://support.esri.com/en/bugs/nimbus/QlVHLTAwMDEzNDY1Ng==  https://support.esri.com/en/download/7916

0 Kudos