Migrate ArcGIS Enterprise to new machines using WebGIS DR tool

06-14-2021 05:19 AM
Mehretab
Occasional Contributor II

We are planning to Migrate ArcGIS Enterprise to new machines using WebGIS DR tool. Currently our deployment looks like:

1. Portal for ArcGIS 10.6.1, Datastore for ArcGIS and Web Adaptor are installed in one VM (Linux)

2. ArcGIS Server 10.6.1 (hosting server) is installed in another VM (linux).

We got new  servers for Enterprise deployment, and wanted to update 10.8.1 and migrate to the new machines emulating the same scenario as our old deployment.  I am planning to use the  WebGIS DR tool and the option 2 described in this blog :

Option 2: Redirect traffic until the software is configured

If you are able to redirect traffic away from your production environment for a short amount of time, configure the component that is directing traffic to your production environment to send traffic to your non-production environment. This may mean you need to re-register the web adaptor with the new machines or update your reverse proxy or load balancer to send traffic to the new machines within the non-production environment. This only needs to be done when you are ready to federate Portal and Server and set the server as the hosting server. After you federate and set the hosting server, you can send traffic back to the production environment. An outline of these steps would be:

1. Provision your new machines within the non-production environment
  2. Install the software on the machines
  3. Create the Portal site, ArcGIS Server site, and register the ArcGIS Data Store with the Server site
  4. Redirect traffic to the non-production environment
    • If you’re using the ArcGIS Web Adaptor, register the web adaptor with the new machines. If you’re using a reverse proxy or load balancer, update the configuration to send traffic to the new machines.
    • If you’re at 10.8, you can better advertise the state of the deployment by taking advantage of banners and access notices.
  5. Federate Portal and Server in the non-production environment via using the same public URL for the Services URL as the production environment
    • The administration URL used during federation must be a URL that only resolves to the non-production machines. The administration URL can also be updated following the migration with no interruption in service
  6. Set the federated server as the hosting server in the target Portal
  7. Redirect traffic back to the production environment
    • If you’re using the web adaptor, register the web adaptor with the original machines. If you’re using a reverse proxy or load balancer, update the configuration to send traffic to the original machines

I can install web adaptor in the new machine, configure our servers with web adaptor and can redirect our reverse proxy to resolve to the new machines.

My questions are:

1. should I run the Restore backup on the new machine with the DR tool after step 7 (Redirect traffic back to the production environment) or before.

2.  what does the Account credentials for the ...webgisdr.properties file mean? In lnux based deployment does it mean the user and the password where the new machines are installed should be identical to the old account?

Must this item or setting be identical across deployments when running the webgisdr utility?

Item or setting

10.4.x

10.5.x, 10.6

0.6.1, 10.7.x, 10.8

Public portal URLs

Yes

Yes

Yes

Services URL for federated servers

Yes

Yes

Yes

Registered data stores other than ArcGIS Data Store

Yes

Yes

Yes

Account credentials for the ...webgisdr.properties file

Yes

Yes

Yes

ArcGIS Server directory paths (for example, arcgisjobs)

Yes

Yes

No

Security information (LDAP URLs, proxy information)

Yes

Yes

No

Deployment type (single machine or highly available)

Yes

No

No

Private portal URL

Yes

No

No

Admin URL for federated servers

Yes

No

No

Machine names

Yes

No

No

Portal content directory

No

No

No

ArcGIS Server configuration store

No

No

No

Thanks in advance and I appreciate for any insight or help. 

Mehretab

Thanks in advance and I appreciate for any insight or help. 

Mehretab

0 Kudos
3 Replies
ReeseFacendini
Esri Regular Contributor
  1. It's best to do the restore after step 7, to make sure the web traffic from the machine(s) running Enterprise route correctly.
  2. The documentation is saying that the credentials used to take the backup in the first place (the username and password entered in the webgisdr.properties file) must be used to during the restore process
Mehretab
Occasional Contributor II

Thanks ReeseFacendini.

I have an Insight for ArcGIS Installed in Portal. I guess I should install and configure insight in the new machine before running the restore?

I will update you soon.

0 Kudos
JonathanQuinn
Esri Notable Contributor

Agreed with @ReeseFacendini. As long as internal traffic via the admin URL and privatePortalURL on the standby are resolving to the standby machines, you can restore whenever, but ideally you'd should flip back over to the production environment to restore functionality and accessibility.

And yes, the credentials are referring to the user with the default administrator role in the portal that you've entered into the webgisdr properties file.