Select to view content in your preferred language

Creating a demographics map

07-15-2014 08:51 AM
Labels (1)
JulieCarter
New Contributor II

A friend asked me to if I could show her a map of our region (Western New York) using demographics such as income, race, education, and access to health care so she can analyze the market for alternative medicine. Use of alternative medicine might be a stretch but for demographics... I find something like Social Explorer much more accessible for demographics layering. Does anyone know where I can find updated demo's on arcGIS or another mapping program to create this map? I am very new to GIS so nothing too advanced, thanks.

3 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

This can be done within ArcMap for sure.  Have you examined the help files on Mapping and Visualization and its sub-topics.  It will give you an idea on how to work with the data you have, map types, symbology etc

0 Kudos
DavidJenkins
New Contributor III

Julie,

I'm not familiar with Social Explorer.  I checked out your link and I'm sure it's a fine solution.  However... Whenever you perform analysis of data for the purpose of answering a specific question, it's important to determine the scale at which you need your answer.  For example, if your alternative medicine question is meant to be answered at the neighborhood level then the data you use should support that analysis.  i.e. you might want a few hundred points of information (or more!) across the area of the study.  Just be sure to examine your data prior to developing an approach.

The folks at ESRI can be very helpful with these questions.  To me, even more than a platform, they are also extremely good providers of data.  Their Business Analyst and Community Analyst tools are flush with enough demographic information to complete most analytical tasks.  However, if there's something you're looking for that they don't have, they're always willing to track it down for you too.  I trust them as a data provider and rarely have to question to validity of the information I get from them.

Hope this helps.

0 Kudos
NatalieJung
Occasional Contributor III

Thank you David! Yes, both Community Analyst and Business Analyst have large amounts of demographic data.  There is also a large set of data called Tapestry that is quite interesting in how it groups information.  You can see it at http://www.esri.com/landing-pages/tapestry.